Search and firewall

03 Oct 23: One server was relocated, the server currently doesn't have a public IP address in the meantime. I wrote some additional tunnel code running separately to handle this. When the server is engaged the connection is 5600+ days uniform (since around 24 July 2008). In the unlikely case I disengaged the server because of some problem the retention is 1200-3800 days depending on newsgroup. If you experience any issue please let me know.

29 Nov 23: Because of encrypted and obfuscated posts flood mass posted by a few nzb indexing websites using usenet servers as private storage for their members to download the posts - the situation with the content is pretty chaotic since their purpose is to post in such a way, so users must use their website exclusively, when the website disappears - the encrypted posts just eat usenet providers' hard disk space uselessly. If you can't find something specific please let me know at alexbirj at gmail dot com what exactly you can't find for me to check how it is possible to retain the posts. Non-obfuscated posts shouldn't be affected at all, let me know if you notice anything missing.

29 Nov 23: The search protocol had to be upgraded to extend 3 byte (16M+) limit on the server side for number of sets per instance, so at least the version 5.8.3 is needed to access it, otherwise should be no any difference.

11 Jun 24: The import stage of the trial searches (the registered users are not affected) may be limited in the meantime, in part the impact of the tunnel code (see the top note above) should be reviewed. The current development work deems more important, but the matter will be looked into likely towards the next release.

ticatc3

Search and firewall

Post by ticatc3 »

Hi,

I get really frustrated with the search engine.
I posted a question about firewall, but now i'm not sure what is the problem. The only thing i can say for sure is that the search is not working more time than it is working.
I don't have problems downloading the configuration.

Please help.
I have vista and NOD32 antivirus.
I have tried reseting the router, modem, disabling firewall, antivirus.

Motti
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

I read your other post where you mention Vista's firewall. Any version of the built in Windows firewall is pretty much limited in what you can do to configure it.

However, you say that search works sometimes but not others. Since you run Vista, do you have UAC on or off? Do you run UE as administrator? To rule out UAC interfering, you can try turning off UAC temporarily.

A firewall is most likely to cause a problem like this but the Windows one would just let UE perform a search without putting up any kind of a fight. Whenever you see this happen where you can't search, try pinging the two IP addresses above and do a traceroute while you're at it.

For now I would suggest turning off UAC, rebooting and seeing if the problem still occurs after that.
ticatc3

Post by ticatc3 »

Thanks,

UAC is off since 5 minutes after i installed... it was very annoying.

Now that i have the addresses i can debug it when it happens.

Thanks again.

Motti