system crash/recovery?

da_spook_uk

system crash/recovery?

Post by da_spook_uk »

a quickie for ya! I have found that for some reson my machine crashed and stalls quite a bit while using newspro?

the question I have is, I was downloading some bodies, how do i retreieve the headers back again? no matter how many times I reset the group re download, or show deleted headers. I can get back what headers I lost, so I cant carry on downloading what I was before the crash? also I notice that I looses all the newsgroups I downloaded, so I have to redownload the newsgroups too.

this is the only offputting thing I have found. :?: :cry:

appart from that this proggy really is the biz

Oh I am using the registered version too.
Tha*Lunat!k

Post by Tha*Lunat!k »

Insufficient memory might cause instability. Also you might be using Windows98/ME? Those systems don't perform nearly as well as XP, so crashes are common under any memory intensive operations.

In Properties > General you should enable database backup. Each time you launch NewsPro it will back up the data files. In the case of a crash you will be restored to the exact point before the crash, plus you'll have deleted and read headers marked up to where you were at the time of crash.

Headers shouldn't be no longer accessible after a crash. Make sure purging is disabled for a group, then issue a rescan of headers and use "show deleted headers" (the 'undo' arrow icon on toolbar). See if you get things back after doing that (not sure why you'd need to do this, but try anyway).
[img]http://graphics.thalunatik.com/sig6.png[/img]

Post by Guest »

ok I shall try that:

BTW: I am using xp pro 2.2ghz with 512 MB ram 120 gig HD
I am sure I have ample system. :)
Tha*Lunat!k

Post by Tha*Lunat!k »

If you tend to have very large numbers of headers in the database (Alex can give you the exact number for RAM) you might consider splitting the database to multiple profiles. I don't keep many headers so I haven't needed to do this, but others have benefitted greatly by doing so.
[img]http://graphics.thalunatik.com/sig6.png[/img]

Post by Guest »

Tha*Lunat!k wrote:Insufficient memory might cause instability. Also you might be using Windows98/ME? Those systems don't perform nearly as well as XP, so crashes are common under any memory intensive operations.
I'm running NewsPro on a Win98SE system with 64mb ram,en never did
NewsPro crash here.
alex

Post by alex »

Did you mean XP crashed (blue screen or it hung?) and Win98 worked on the same hardware without problems?

Then it should be some driver, do you have a firewall or some third party software that could affect memory/file system? (memory accelerators, defragmenters etc?). If there are no bugs in them there is no problem but if there is a bug it may affect all the system.

If you uninstall the application responsible the problem should disappear (just disabling may not work since the driver remains operational).

Whatever happens in newspro - the system shouldn't be affected to the point of collapse, since it is just a pure application and a XP/2K/NT system is fully isolated in such a case (accept for third party drivers that are a part of the system).