Connection refused (10061)

03 Oct 23: One server was relocated, the server currently doesn't have a public IP address since in the meantime it is running on starlink. I wrote some additional tunnel code running separately to handle this. When the server is engaged the connection is 5600+ days uniform (since around 24 July 2008). In the unlikely case I disengaged the server because of some problem the retention is 1200-3800 days depending on newsgroup. If you experience any issue please let me know.

29 Nov 23: Because of encrypted and obfuscated posts flood mass posted by a few nzb indexing websites using usenet servers as private storage for their members to download the posts - the situation with the content is pretty chaotic since their purpose is to post in such a way, so users must use their website exclusively, when the website disappears - the encrypted posts just eat usenet providers' hard disk space uselessly. If you can't find something specific please let me know at alexbirj at gmail dot com what exactly you can't find for me to check how it is possible to retain the posts. Non-obfuscated posts shouldn't be affected at all, let me know if you notice anything missing.

29 Nov 23: The search protocol had to be upgraded to extend 3 byte (16M+) limit on the server side for number of sets per instance, so at least the version 5.8.3 is needed to access it, otherwise should be no any difference.
Marten Fokkens

Connection refused (10061)

Post by Marten Fokkens »

I have many errors when I try to connect the search server.

I think it is already 2 or 3 weeks now.

Search failed(5)

One time it works , the other time not.
Maybe a capacity problem?

Just one time Search failed (1) - system 10061
Several time : Search failed (9) - system 10061
alex

Re: Connection refused (10061)

Post by alex »

10061 is connection refused. Most likely the problem is with your computer, maybe router or firewall. With those errors above I can tell the errors are random and don't depend on the destination IP address (those errors belong to different locations).

The "Connection attempt failed because..." message code is 10060, one would get it if there is a routing problem or if the search service connectivity is down. Sometimes I had here periods of bad connection quality, then also in browser I randomly got an error page, in UE the search error was 10060, not connection refused.
Marten Fokkens

Re: Connection refused 10061

Post by Marten Fokkens »

If I translate it in English:

The connection is active refused by the target computer......

Is that your computer or mine? I don't know.
alex

Re: Connection refused 10061

Post by alex »

It is not search service computers, since there are two physical locations with completely different connection setup and you get random errors from both locations, but it may well be your firewall or router, they usually return this error. Try to disable firewall / connect directly without or reset router to see if it is the case.

Also maybe you remember something changed around the time when the problem started, e.g. you installed firewall update or replaced router.
Marten Fokkens

Post by Marten Fokkens »

I changed nothing and I just did 20 searches and there was not any fault.
Strange.
alex

Post by alex »

Most likely the problem is still there, it may depend on other things, e.g. it may happen when you load the connection and in the same time you make a search, the bug is triggered, some kind of sync issue maybe.
Marten Fokkens

Post by Marten Fokkens »

We will see. If I need your help I will tell you.
For now thank you for your assistance and I wish you a nice weekend.