search service doesn't at all

03 Oct 23: One server was relocated, the server currently doesn't have a public IP address since in the meantime it is running on starlink. I wrote some additional tunnel code running separately to handle this. When the server is engaged the connection is 5600+ days uniform (since around 24 July 2008). In the unlikely case I disengaged the server because of some problem the retention is 1200-3800 days depending on newsgroup. If you experience any issue please let me know.

29 Nov 23: Because of encrypted and obfuscated posts flood mass posted by a few nzb indexing websites using usenet servers as private storage for their members to download the posts - the situation with the content is pretty chaotic since their purpose is to post in such a way, so users must use their website exclusively, when the website disappears - the encrypted posts just eat usenet providers' hard disk space uselessly. If you can't find something specific please let me know at alexbirj at gmail dot com what exactly you can't find for me to check how it is possible to retain the posts. Non-obfuscated posts shouldn't be affected at all, let me know if you notice anything missing.

29 Nov 23: The search protocol had to be upgraded to extend 3 byte (16M+) limit on the server side for number of sets per instance, so at least the version 5.8.3 is needed to access it, otherwise should be no any difference.
kue92

search service doesn't at all

Post by kue92 »

Hi,

For few days, the search service worked bad ( sometimes not finding searches and without messages ) and today it doesn't work at all : i can enter anything, i ve got nothing found and NO messages "search failed").

I tried to update newsgroup and it worked so i think Giganews server works well.

Thx,

version, 3.1.1b / Giganews
alex

Re: search service doesn't at all

Post by alex »

Can you give me an example when search doesn't work? What do you mean by "without messages"?

Are you using "all words" or "boolean wildmats" in edit menu->properties->search settings. E.g. when in boolean wildmats mode and all words patterns may return no results since for boolean wildmats the space character matters.

I disabled ngroups feed in the meantime until I find out whether it is fautly or still usable, but there are still 2 other feeds.

Do you mean a certain newsgroup, say other newsgroups work ok and this particular newsgroup doesn't return results? If so can you pm me the newsgroup name I check if it is found on the remaining feeds.
kue92

Post by kue92 »

An example of search doesn't work ? Any thing ! At first, i searched specific things (films, ...)... And then i saw that no searches works.

"without messages", i meant i've no message "search failed". It looks like the search is not started when i push "search".

I used UE for many months and specially search service. I did nothing special, I don't understand.

thx,
alex

Post by alex »

I didn't get your post right, understood it after testing your search example you sent me by pm. Yesterday I was tired and with your vague input I had association with the ngroups ordeal from several days ago which is irrelevant here.

If nothing found UE returns "No matches found". Better you used subject like "Search failed" error message box.

If failed it means some kind of error, e.g. UE search is blocked by firewall.

What exact error message(s) you get in the search box?

UE needs outgoing ports open in the range 2020-2040 (not all of them but few in that range), so check your firewall settings in that regard; if you have router try to reset it. Also read my pm.