right click -> Delete All Headers by this Author feature.

willko

right click -> Delete All Headers by this Author feature.

Post by willko »

Hi Alex,

As always, first let me say how much I continue to enjoy and use your excellent newsreader - really is the best available, hands down.

I was just checking some headers and it occurred to me that a context menu based right click option of: "Delete (and/or purge?) All Headers from this Author" feature would be a handy tool (esp with a keyboard shortcut!) - I wonder if it is a difficult feature to add?

Just a suggestion - again thanks for all the hard work and seasons greetings!

thanks

willko
LarryM

Re: right click -> Delete All Headers by this Author feature

Post by LarryM »

I'll second this suggestion - this would be a great addition!
alex

Post by alex »

Maybe just to purge, what we are mostly talking about is one source who posting all that virus/spam flood for about a year, most of it through hitnews.eu under "razor" derivatives and some other poster names.
alex

Post by alex »

i'll try to add something more serious in the next version, it should work when spammers don't use the standard poster names like powerpost a&a.
Bert

Post by Bert »

Maybe it makes more sense to create a "select all articles from this author" function. After that you can choose to mark them old or delete, just what the user want.

Also a "Show all articles from this poster" would be nice for having a quick view.
alex

Post by alex »

v2.3+, i tried to keep it simple.
willko

Post by willko »

Alex, the Blacklist feature is AWESOME!! and I love the author quick filter!! Once again you've outdone yourself and UE remains the best of the best!!! Many thanks :D
mrqaffe

Post by mrqaffe »

I wonder if it is possibe to manualy (by texteditor) remove one poster from the bla.dat file, i can find the correct name but i do not understand the characters surrounding the name, and trying to find the name in the list from inside UE is almost impossible because its in time order rather than alphabetical order, and i have thousands of names in it, it would be nice if the blacklist format would be easily editable, with clear start and stop of each post.
alex

Post by alex »

edit menu->properties->kill filters/blacklist, select posters you want to remove from the blacklist and press "delete", maybe i should change the button text from "delete" to "remove from blacklist".
Maccara

Post by Maccara »

mrqaffe wrote:trying to find the name in the list from inside UE is almost impossible because its in time order rather than alphabetical order.
If you click the header, you can sort the blacklist by name too. (in case you didn't notice that already)
mrqaffe

Post by mrqaffe »

Ok i didnt know it was possible to sort alphabeticaly before, it's a lot easier then, to find someone in a spamfilter with 1000 of entrys by "date added" is very hard.
A future feature could be that the killfilter deletes the oldest entries after a given time, the spammers changes names all the time, so a sort of "autocleaning" of the spammer list would be nice.
Anyway i like the function a lot, it filter out spam very easy by author.
alex

Post by alex »

There is a chance you may want to download older headers.

The blacklist size when you add entries there realistically doesn't affect performance, but if you want you can sort by date added and then select and delete the top of the list in one click.