Auto shutdown

R_Rabbit10

Auto shutdown

Post by R_Rabbit10 »

Is it possible to implement a feature that automatically shutsdown the program after completion and then automatically shutsdown (poweroff) the computer? I now use an external program for this (poweroff computer), but this is far from optimal. It corrupts the database everytime I do it this way.
Thanks for this great program!!
alex

Post by alex »

as things stand now, check the program options whether you can do the following:

the shutdown program tries to shutdown windows; if it fails it tries in 10 minutes and then even if shutdown fails it forces it.

what newspro does when it gets the shutdown message - it basically says 'no' and flushes the database; as soon as the database and the rest have been saved it shows a message box and it is safe to shutdown windows then (newspro won't resond negatively to the shutdown message either).

the reason is the current multithreaded program structure makes it impossible to save the database from within the shutdown message, but i estimate it will be possible in the not so far future.

for now all you need is to delay the shutdown when an application says 'no' (most probably there is such an option if the program dedicated to the shutdown issue).
swampaboy

Implement it?

Post by swampaboy »

How about implementing a "shut-down-when-downloads-are-finished-option" in NewsPro? (or did you just say that ghehe?)
alex

Post by alex »

it could be easily added, but what is the justification? (I can only think about a power break since the Windows itself is reliable enough). you mean the shutdown program has an option to retry the shutdown later if some application doesn't agree to exit, but then it is reduced to the former answer as you noticed :)

there is an option "finish all tasks and hang-up" for dial-up connections but back then it was needed because of accounts with limited number of hours or/and per-hour rates.
bassie

Post by bassie »

I think what is meant:

Sometimes (many times) the download list will take a long time. You want to go to bed and so you say to the program that it can shut down the computer when activity is idle.

I have seen this option in XNEWS program (no intention to make advertisement of that program). After downloading is finished, it shuts off the computer. It is good otherwise the computer will just be on during the whole night, in vain.

One good thing is that the next time you run the program, the shutdown option is not automatically selected. This saves you the problem that suddenly the computer shuts down while you are playing an game for example.

On the other hand, newspro has extra features, such as watch and download filters, and then one wants to keep the computer on.
psycaz

Post by psycaz »

Alex,
For me, I would like to see the option due to occassional pc issues and power loss. if the program would shutdown once the downloads finished, it would help preserver db integrity. For as many times as I have had to rebuild it or start over, it would save me a lot of time.

Just onother opinion for what its worth.
alex

Post by alex »

ok i wrote it down, like finish "finish all tasks&exit newspro" or "finish all tasks&shutdown windows" maybe i'll add this several days later and put it here.
bassie

Post by bassie »

Maybe these options as well:

1) An option to close at a specific time?
For example I now put the scheduler every day for 24 hours long, so when I start the program it does automatically xpat search and download of the wanted attachments. This means there will always be some data transport, and the program will not be stopped by the proposed options.
So it would be nice (i think) to have an option to close the program at for example 3:15 p.m.

2) An option to start the program at a specific time? Maybe this is not possible (it is probably not possible i would say).
blackdog56

Post by blackdog56 »

None of this really means anything to me, as I never shut my computer off, but I do remember one problem it caused me. I, for some reason, in another program, set it to shut off when finished with an about 2 hour video conversion job. I woke up later and decided to do some more work, forgetting about the auto shutoff and ... had a lot of editing done without saving .. when the computer shut down..

So, just a warning.
bassie

Post by bassie »

Sorry,
I was mistaken,

my last reply was concerned with shutting of the program, not windows.
So, actually I was putting that reply in the wrong thread I am afraid.

I only thought it would be nice to shut of the program after a certain time.
psycaz

Post by psycaz »

Alex,
Not sure how much trouble it would be, but is it possible to include both options.
I know for my own experience, there are times I would like to do the just "shutdown Newspro" and others I'd rather "shutdown pc" once all tasks have finished.
Shutdown Newspro foe when I have other tasks running, and Pc for when you have the expected overnight storm that isn't supposed to arrived until after the dopwnloads finsih, but before you plan on getting up.
Hate waisting the download limits for Newsfeeds for the day.