xpat search: define rules per newsserver?

bassie

xpat search: define rules per newsserver?

Post by bassie »

I make an xpat newsgroup, and all the newsservers are attached.

I have servers from @home (my ISP) and from newscene.com
The "problem" is that the newscene servers only understand the xpat search if i put the search words between ** (for example *shop*) and i must state "case sensitive" otherwise it won't find it. This can be difficult because posters sometimes say theypost it like "post.rar" while they post files like "Post.rar", so newscene won't find it.

The @home xpat search is better, because i don't have to say "case sensitive" (it is better not to say this) Nor do i have to put it between **. It finds it eventhough i search for "post" while it is "Post".

Disadvantage of @home is: low retention time (about a day is the max).
Newscene: 6-7 days. So newscene would findthe old postings i want, unless of course the xpat search is wrong.

Question is: would it be nice to add to the properties of the newsserver what it's xpat capabilities are? So i mean select a server and put in for example "case sensitive necessary" and/or "put search words between **" for example?

Aother thing: would it be possible to do a request to the newsserver to find out what the xpat rules are? Now it is trial and error it seems.
alex

Post by alex »

there are no different kinds of the xpat command.

when you check 'substring' you'll see asterisks appearing on both ends of the edit control - it means newspro will add them itself when communicating with the server.

exactly the same case with the case sensitivity, newspro just creates a pattern with small and capital letters using the wildmat syntax.
bassie

Post by bassie »

Hi Alex,

I still don't completely understand it, so could you please answer this:

To the @home servers I would like to send "no case sensitive". To the newscene servers I would like to send "case sensitive". Both in the same xpat search. But there is only one setting that applies to all. Is this possible?
alex

Post by alex »

yes, one setting, but it should work everywhere, it is one wildmat expression.
bassie

Post by bassie »

Alex,

thank you for your explanation.