shut down program and windows after certain amount of time

bassie

shut down program and windows after certain amount of time

Post by bassie »

Now we have "finish all tasks and exit" and:
"finish all tasks and shutdown windows". These are very nice options to use.

Maybe an extra option would be: "exit program at a specific time and then shutdown windows". This might be useful - I think - when using the scheduler. Or something like: "let the program run for 2 hours, then shut off the program". Or for example: "download the attachments found during this xpat search only, and then shutdown program and windows" so the results of only the present xpat search (or separate xpat searches of course) will be saved, and no new xpat search will be done during this program operation. So this means the unique watch/save/scheduler option (I love it) of this programs calls - to my view, maybe not yours - to
add this options.

I explain:
I put the scheduler always on (so 00:00 - 24:00 every day a lot of days ahead) so that when i start the program, my xpat searches will start and downloading will also automatically start. This I do for example when I download a DVD that is being posted during about 5-6 days (really). Then i take full advantage of my free ISP servers that usually have a retention time of about 24 hours maximum. I cannot use the existing options because activity will be always on (scheduler is always on).
Usually 2 or 3 hours is enough to get the new attachments. Then It is no use to keep the program nor windows on: Next day i restart the program and I can get the new attachments then.
This allows to put on the program at a late hour, and let it shut down when you are asleep for example.
bassie

Post by bassie »

Maybe I might as well do the following ?:

When I start the program, I change the scheduler only for this day to
for example 20:00-22:00 and then select "finish all tasks and shutdown windows". This would give the same result I think, at least I assume.
bassie

it's not the same

Post by bassie »

For example when I tell the scheduler to stop at 23:30, then the xpat search can still be going on to next day 00:30 for example, and then it will come into next scheduler period, when the scheduler is on.

So this way the computer will not shut down.