Problems with the new "delete history" menu

kheldar01

Problems with the new "delete history" menu

Post by kheldar01 »

Hi Alex,
just downloaded version 4.8 64bit and the new menu "delete history" is disabled, even if there are items in the search box (see the attached picture).

Not sure if there is an option to enable it or if it's a problem in the software.
Attachments
picture.jpg
picture.jpg (175.01 KiB) Viewed 12788 times
alex

Re: Problems with the new "delete history" menu

Post by alex »

The delete history menu entry should be always enabled, there is no handler in the program code which would disable it.

I checked, the command ID is unique within the program, so this is not a problem.

Then I checked it is different ID comparing to v4.7, because I removed gaps in ID numbering.

Do you have any utility which may inject code into running applications? Handlers can be overrided.

Which operating system is it? I checked in Win7 32 bit WinXP 32 and 64 bit no problem, but basically as far as I know there is no certain ID which is used by the system in that range, this particular ID is 33795, in v4.7 it was 33818 and 33795 wasn't used likely because some time ago I added some menu entry, then deleted it with resulting gap in ID numbering.

Let us try to determine the application or whatever is responsible for this, then if it is something significant I could just change control ID for this menu entry, if not I can just recompile for you with a different ID.
kheldar01

Post by kheldar01 »

Hi Alex,
i'm using windows 7 x64

I have no utilities who inject code inside applications.

I add another bit of info che could be useful to you. When I launched the version 4.8 for the first time, UE asked me to reset toolabars to default ones (I had custom toolbars and keybinding on 4.7).
Maybe that reset could have caused the problem with the menu ?

[Update]
I have created a new folder for the DB of UE and I switched to that folder from the menu "general-->database folder". After the restart the "delete history" menu is enabled.

I switched back to the old folder with my usual UE DB and the "delete history" menu is disabled. So seems there is something in the DB preventing the use of that menu.

I hope this can help you to analyze the problem.
alex

Post by alex »

Try to move api.* files (try api.ini only first) elsewhere then launch UE and check if the entry is enabled.

If so it might be the problem with the third party GUI library which then got confused with menu entries ID changes.

If it is the problem email me the api files, not sure though it makes sense to dig into the library, maybe some bug with their reset code, anyway it doesn't crash, just customize the toolbar again, normally I don't change menu control IDs.
kheldar01

Post by kheldar01 »

Ok the problem was indeed in the API.* files.
api.ini was fine, but when I moved the api.dat and launched UE the delete history menu was enabled.

At exit UE created a new api.dat file. I guess I can use that instead of the faulty one.

Anyway I have attached my old "not working" file for the analysis.

Thanks for the help.
Attachments
api.rar
(4.57 KiB) Downloaded 668 times
alex

Post by alex »

In my setup the file is empty, I don't use custom toolbars.

If to open it in binary editor I can see there names of menu entries.

It doesn't make sense to dig into the old third party code, I'll just try to keep control ids steady from now on, should be no problem then.