Feature request: remember and reuse passwords.

tijgert

Feature request: remember and reuse passwords.

Post by tijgert »

I download passworded posts from about 3 or 4 main posters and sometimes multiple posts using only 1 password that rotates on a daily basis.

I would like it very much if UE would remember all entered passwords, preferably in an editable list/textfile that can be added to on the fly. Maybe with a 'last used' flag to see what passwords aren't used often or anymore.
When a passworded post is downloaded UE would try all passwords in that list until it gets the right one and if it doesn't find one that works UE will ask for it the usual way.

This would save me a lot of hassle of looking up passwords and entering it on a per post basis.
alex

Re: Feature request: remember and reuse passwords.

Post by alex »

There is the check box "password history" when you enter the password, if checked it will remember the passwords.

Trying all the passwords is not practical, as winrar at least sometimes will scan all the file before it will reject the wrong password.
tijgert

Post by tijgert »

The thing is that I don't want to have to look up the password every single post when I know it's an often used password, just not which one.
I personally have no problem with WinRAR checking all the files first before it rejects it, I download on an SSD and it's fast enough and wear and tear is certainly no issue then. It's a far greater wear and tear on my nerves to have to enter the password after having looked it up and seeing it's the same password again as before. It's also a colossal waste of my time in this age of automation.
Add to that that I almost always download overnight and waiting for WinRAR to read it all a dozen times if it has to is really a non issue.

Perhaps could you make it a switch then? Let the end user decide if he wants to automate the password process as much as possible or if he wants to stay hands on all the time. If you'd want to go for gold you could even make UE a little smarter and have it try the password first that was previously successful for that particular poster.

(it would ensure my renewal ;) )
alex

Post by alex »

Need to think first, or it may end more complicated than just selecting the right password.

Text files with password lists etc. probably would be too customized.

Could be a multiple selection list control with passwords arranged in the order of last successful use with add/delete buttons and enable check box.
tijgert

Post by tijgert »

That sounds well thought through already. Keeping it simple yet flexible enough.
The simplest of check boxes could say something along the line of "Automated passwords, last one first".

I like the way you picked up on this, so I just now renewed my subscription.

(I know it doesn't mean you'll incorporate that feature, it's just me showing gratitude and support, even if you decide to not go ahead with it).
alex

Post by alex »

Just there were several similar requests already.

What I noticed when the file names are encrypted it returns pretty fast (since it cannot read anything maybe).

When file names are not encrypted at least sometimes it scans the whole file.

So maybe at least need a check box to be able to limit it only when the file names are encrypted.

It won't be in the next release (which is already uploaded, just the site is not yet updated), I'll contact you through pm with some test version, it is easy to cycle, but I'm not sure about the right interface.
tijgert

Post by tijgert »

It does happen often that the filenames are visible but that the archive is still encrypted, so I'd leave that check-box off.
Others may appreciate it though.

(p.s. when will the my new serial be mailed?)
alex

Post by alex »

see pm. you can also use the lost key form on the website.
tijgert

Post by tijgert »

In addition to the automated passwords matter there's another issue that could be addressed simultaneously.
When UE is unpacking an archive it is (now) not possible to assign a password to a new archive that has been added after the unpacking started due to it not appearing in the unpack list until a file has been saved from that newly passworded archive.

Right now UE just focusses on the unpacking and when finished switches back to saving again, understandably so.
Maybe you can add an option to always save the first/opening/smallest .par2 file when available, even when unpacking, so that one can assign the password to that archive straight away and not have to wait until the unpacking is done first (which might take a very long time with UHD movies).
alex

Post by alex »

There is an option in the par2 menu "Mark par2 zero file for download with [the] highest priority".

If you don't download anything else with the highest priority, the zero par2 file will be downloaded right away.
alex

Post by alex »

i've sent you a link through pm.
tijgert

Post by tijgert »

Seems to work just fine now! Thumbs up, on to the next request/suggestion ;)
tijgert

Post by tijgert »

*** cut and made into own topic.