Keep PAR2 paused until necessary / {{ }} nzb password

WasabiNME

Keep PAR2 paused until necessary / {{ }} nzb password

Post by WasabiNME »

That's what happens...usually.

But when Set A takes so long to unrar that Set B completes downloading, all the PAR2 files from Set B will download into the Save Queue also. This can easily be many GB of useless files.

No amount of tweaking the "Relative chance to run" settings will make a difference because obviously UE isn't gonna suspend a lengthy unrar operation to keep going back to save incoming files.

I've been manually pausing PAR2 files since I've discovered this happens, but can you please help me be lazier? :mrgreen:

And Merry Christmas!
alex

Re: Keep PAR2 paused until it is determined they are necessa

Post by alex »

I'll check it out, it has something to do with unpack synchronization.
WasabiNME

Post by WasabiNME »

I just imported an nzb of passworded material - UE properly errored out the rar files, but still downloaded ALL the par2 files, none of which were ultimately necessary.

Didn't there used to be an option to load all par2 files except the first one as paused? I can't find anything like that now.
alex

Post by alex »

Is it the same question, it downloaded the par2 files during unrar?
WasabiNME

Post by WasabiNME »

No. The rar set was in the error tab because I had no password (or maybe wrong password - don't remember). Meanwhile all the par2 files downloaded.

Just now I downloaded a quick 4GB set - don't know if it needed repair or not (does UE log anything?). It unrared fine, but there are leftover par2 files in the download directory and the UE unpack tab shows the par2 set with message "Complete (output files cleared)" which I've never seen in years using UE.

I'm just gonna manually pause par2 from now on. I swear something is different. I never had so many problems with wasted par2 downloads.
WasabiNME

Post by WasabiNME »

Can you please fix this? :mrgreen:

It seems simple enough. So simple, in fact, that I thought it was the normal behaviour to never download PAR2 unless they were actually needed.

1) UE is so ridiculously slow unRARing that PAR2 for the next set of files routinely get downloaded and stuck in the save queue.

2) If you're not lightning quick entering the password for a protected set, UE will error out the RAR files but gladly download all of the PAR2 files

3) I regularly end up with a RAR set downloaded, unRARed and deleted, but a ton of PAR2 files are in the download folder, and the UE unpack tab is clogged up with useless PAR2 files waiting for a RAR set that has come and gone

I believe #1 is because download speeds are now considerably faster than the UE unRAR (manual unRAR is so much faster)
#2 is just broken logic
And #3 seems to happen only when the PAR2 covers files beyond the RAR set (like silly posters who parity protect their precious .nfo file)

All three cases could be fixed with an option to pause *all* PAR2 files initially. Then unpause the biggest one with the number of PAR2 blocks <= number of blocks needed, repeat as necessary. Or just pause them all except the little one and let me manually unpause what is needed later. I've been trying to do this but I always forget to go in and pause them.

Please help! Thanks!!!
alex

Post by alex »

I've moved it up in the proposed features file, I'll try to add it in the next release.
alex

Post by alex »

I'm checking it now.

Is UE unrar slow when not downloading? I remember I checked unrar time it was about the same as winrar. So as you noted it might be reduced to the disk speed, or maybe have an option to pause downloading while unraring, or maybe try to unrar to a different drive to speed it up.

UE uses code from unrar command line, which is maybe older version of code which is in winrar, but it is unlikely there is huge difference in performance.

As to those par2 files. Does it happen to all downloads or only those when par2 sets which contain misnamed files?

Better to have some examples, the code is much easier to change if there is some actual data input instead of trying first to recreate an input given a description of behavior.
alex

Post by alex »

I thought about a simple option to download only one par2 file per par2 set at a time, including what is in the save queue.
alex

Post by alex »

The option I suggested above has been implemented in the v5.2.2 release.
WasabiNME

Post by WasabiNME »

I have tested with the new version. From my end, absolutely nothing has changed. Unrar is insanely slow with no other activity. Like 40+ minutes to unrar 50 gig on an 8-core CPU with an SSD, whereas WinRAR takes under 10 minutes.
Here are my settings:

"Download one at a time" still winds up downloading them all.

The option to mark them as paused is grayed out, so it seems to be not doing anything either.

I downloaded two 50 GB Blu-rays. Here's what was left in each folder afterwards. No parity was needed at all, yet it still downloaded everything. 4+ GB completely wasted.

ImageImage

I can't even use Edit/Queued to pause the filtered .par files because pause and unpause isn't an option there. I still have to poke around in the task manager to do it. Here's the final result:

All the .par2 files are always saved as .par2.par2 since the last few versions. Maybe that has something to do with it...
WasabiNME

Post by WasabiNME »

Can you please just add a very simple option to pause all parity all the time no matter what? Then on the rare occasion that I actually need it, I can deal with it myself manually.
WasabiNME

Post by WasabiNME »

Also, can you please add an option to use an NZB password if it is enclosed in {{ }} in the NZB filename? This has been a convention for quite some time now.

Example: "SuperDuperThing{{MagicSecretPassword}}.nzb"
WasabiNME

Post by WasabiNME »

Just did a test. 28 minutes(!) to unRAR a 50 GB post in store mode. No crazy compression anything - essentially just copying the files.

The progress bar still doesn't work - it immediately jumps to 100% on WinRAR 5 posts after finishing with part001.

150 MB of parity downloaded as I cut and pasted the password while the RAR set was in the error tab for not having a password

par2 went back to paused during RAR download and unRAR

After unRARing, UE dutifully resumed downloading 2.25 GB of par2 files for a RAR set that has already been verified and unRARed. Same settings as above.

For comparison, the same post took seven minutes with WinRAR.
alex

Post by alex »

The issue with .par2.par2 extension has been fixed in v5.2.3. It also caused not seeing queued par2 files and continuing downloading them. It was limited to those kinds of posts with randomized subjects.

{{ }}.nzb password - I'll think how to implement it, maybe I could tie it to custom collections somehow.

We need to check whether unrar command line is faster than UE - https://www.rarlab.com/rar/unrarw32.exe , if so I could try to update the unrar code built into UE. Last time I looked into it, the unrar time was about the same. Winrar source code is proprietary.