Search service - Connection unexpectedly closed by the serve

03 Oct 23: One server was relocated, the server currently doesn't have a public IP address since in the meantime it is running on starlink. I wrote some additional tunnel code running separately to handle this. When the server is engaged the connection is 5600+ days uniform (since around 24 July 2008). In the unlikely case I disengaged the server because of some problem the retention is 1200-3800 days depending on newsgroup. If you experience any issue please let me know.

29 Nov 23: Because of encrypted and obfuscated posts flood mass posted by a few nzb indexing websites using usenet servers as private storage for their members to download the posts - the situation with the content is pretty chaotic since their purpose is to post in such a way, so users must use their website exclusively, when the website disappears - the encrypted posts just eat usenet providers' hard disk space uselessly. If you can't find something specific please let me know at alexbirj at gmail dot com what exactly you can't find for me to check how it is possible to retain the posts. Non-obfuscated posts shouldn't be affected at all, let me know if you notice anything missing.

29 Nov 23: The search protocol had to be upgraded to extend 3 byte (16M+) limit on the server side for number of sets per instance, so at least the version 5.8.3 is needed to access it, otherwise should be no any difference.
thekays

Search service - Connection unexpectedly closed by the serve

Post by thekays »

The search service started returning the error "Connection unexpectedly closed by the Server" starting about 5 minutes ago. This happens when doing a search, or when I attempt to import the results from an earlier search. It was working fine until about 5 minutes ago. Restarting the program yields the same error when it comes back up.
alex

Re: Search service - Connection unexpectedly closed by the s

Post by alex »

It works now, why periods of inactivity are so long is not clear yet, it should be several seconds, but I also saw it longer on monitor couple of times, maybe around 5-7 minutes, it comes back by itself. From what I observed such outages are infrequent.

One server is currently running on starlink, need to wait until the direct ethernet connection is installed between the starlink router and the network router in one to two weeks to exclude a router which works as wireless repeater as the cause.

Update: the direct ethernet cable has been installed, as to this particular issue it appears to be resolved.
thekays

Re: Search service - Connection unexpectedly closed by the serve

Post by thekays »

This problem is back, now more frequently. It has happened to me every day for the past 4 days. It will give this error for a while, then work properly. How long does it stay broken? I don't know, it seems random. But it is longer than 15 minutes at a time now.
Search Failed (22)
alex

Post by alex »

The starlink server is being moved, it was supposed to be several minutes, but it took longer and I've just switched the configuration to the remaining server. When the starlink server is working the 22 error is normal for several seconds once in a while, but from what I experienced rare enough.
thekays

Post by thekays »

It is working again now. It was down for about 40 minutes. In the future when this happens I will just go do something else for an hour and come back to it. Thanks for the reply!
alex

Post by alex »

Search is back to full retention, I'll double check the starlink server is set up properly for restart, since it doesn't have public IP address and rdp to it is not straightforward.