retention

telex

retention

Post by telex »

Whats the different between the retention I can setup on newsgroups and
the retention "last headers per server" or

servers--> force retention?

I have setup "force retention" to natural and retention on a newsgroup
1-5 days, but I get 28 days of retention?
slotboxed

Post by slotboxed »

Newspro's definition of retention is not the same as is commonly defined, but rather deals with what range of days it will return headers for a given server or newsgroup. Example: 1-5 means it will only retrieve the last 5 days worth of headers. The actual retention of the articles is determined by how long they stay on the server.
telex

Post by telex »

Yes, but why there are 3! options to setup the retention?

1)newsgroup --->retention

2)newsgroup ---> last header per Server

3)Server --> force retention

?
On option would be enough. (nr. 1))
alex

Post by alex »

last headers doesn't deal with the number of days so newspro doesn't need to scan all headers for matching dates in the first time after you've defined the retention but knows right away which range of headers to download (so last headers is faster in the first time).

the server retention limits retention for all newsgroups on the server, e.g. you have a server with unusually large retention, so you just define the retention for the server, then you don't change anything in the newsgroup pane.
telex

Post by telex »

When I setup the server retention to natural he gives me all headers but when I set default he gives me ........ headers?

In newsgroup category is default = default from the top but here?

and the most important thing: which of the 3 option is newspro checking first? Which is decisively?
I ask because of: I set the (all) server retention to natural and the newsgroup retention to 1-5 days but now I get headers from january...