message-id direct & downloaded header

griffpa

message-id direct & downloaded header

Post by griffpa »

I primarilly use message-id direct, but I have a few newsgroups where I download the headers. When I download articles from these newsgroups, Newspro tries to use the message-id on all servers even thought it should know exacly which servers the articles are found.

For example: After updating headers, an article is available on 5 out of 10 servers. Message-id direct is set for all servers. When I download the article, Newspro uses message-id for all 10 servers and gets 5 "article not found" errors before it gets to a server where the message exists. This causes wasted bandwith and time.

Is there an option to tell the program to ignore message-id method when downloading articles from downloaded headers?

Let me know if you need other information if this isn't clear. Thanks.
Piezo

Post by Piezo »

The situation you describe is the same as NOT using msg-ID direct.
The whole point of msg-ID direct is to download headers from only 1 or 2 servers and download articles from all servers with msg-id direct.

It may seem as a waste of bandwidth but compared to a few rar files it's not very much waste.
A small usenet segment is about 128Kbyte for a binary file so if the waste it 200bytes for each try it is even less then 1%.
Most binaries segments are bigger thus the waste is even less in those cases.

If you only download the headers from a few of the better servers, the waste might even turn into a bandwidth saving compared to the traffic used for header download :roll:

EDIT: After reading it again you may have meant that the msg-id option also downloads from servers that aren't attached to the selected newsgroup. If so, i haven't found an option to prevent that from happening.
griffpa

Post by griffpa »

It isn't just a matter of whether the server is attached to a newsgroup. Say I have 10 servers in total and I download headers for a newgroup. When I press F2 on a header it will tell me which servers that article exists, say 5 of the 10. However, when I download that article it will use message-id method on ALL 10 servers (in priority order) trying to find the article even though it should know which servers to pull from. The problem is that I use the NZB files, so message-id is important, but I also track smaller groups manually using header download. Maybe the solution is to add an option to use header method to automatically override message-id method on a server when the header information exists for an article.
edfreeman

Post by edfreeman »

Message id-direct is only available on a server basis (not a newsgroup basis). If you enable it on a server, it will check that server for articles whether you've downloaded headers or not and whether they were present when the headers were downloaded or not.