Number of connections

zwaluw

Number of connections

Post by zwaluw »

Hi Alex and/or others

I'm encounting a problem with NewsPro.
I'm using several newsservers. Per newsserver 3 connections are allowed.
I've entered this in NewsPro (Properties, Servers).
But often I get error messages like; "making too many connections (4, 5, or even 6), just 3 allowed".
I use xPat very regulary and mostly I am doing more searches in multiple newsgroups.

In a (dutch) forum I got a reply on this question that looks very plausible to me.
The problem occures (mostly or alone?) when using xPat.
The general idea in the reply was:
After a xPat search, NewsPro is releasing the connection for other usage much quicker as the newsserver does. For NewsPro there are only 2 connections left in use so it will open an 3th one. At the newsserver however, the connection is still in use resulting the new connection being the fourth.
(The person who replied mentioned even a 2 minutes delay).

Are you aware of this problem?
Is the general idea given in the above mentioned reply a plausible one to you?
Do you have a solution?

(Also "PM'ed" this message to Alex)

Thanks
Zwaluw
alex

Post by alex »

It might well be a server problem - counting connections, especially if you experience the problem only with xpat, for newspro xpat is just another header task.
If it happens with other than xpat connections it might be some local problem like firewall/router.
Try to contact the server admin about the problem, especially their method of counting connections, from newspro side there cannot be any problem.
Technically yes, when newspro closes connections - server may close them later, there is an option to set connection delay or closesocket linger in properties->general, but if it happens only for xpat i doubt it is the cause.
zwaluw

Post by zwaluw »

Oké Alex,

Thanks for your replay.
I think it is a server problem as well, just there way of dealing with xPat I suppose.

Another question.
Any change there will be a much more in depth manual in future?
So far all NewsPro manuals I read don't describe all features in details.
I know it's a lot of work, but I'm just asking.
alex

Post by alex »

also check the following scenario (if the number of retries on xpat tasks is growing, maybe it is what happens):

----

you launch xpat but it takes for the server more than timeout to return the result.

after the timeout newspro closes connection and retries again opening the new one.

server still works on the previous search before finding out that newspro has closed the connection so the number of connections has been exceeded.

----

if it is the case (you see retries more than 1 on xpat tasks, retries are shown in task manager->header tasks, "attempt" when you click/choose from the "running" combo box the corresponding task) - then you need to increase the xpat delay in properties->tasks, timeout, read (xpat) .

documentation: in selected topics including 'what is new' on the website you can find description of most features. also check www.mikestammer.com . i'm planning to rearrange the documentation after refining the feature set.
zwaluw

Post by zwaluw »

if it is the case (you see retries more than 1 on xpat tasks, retries are shown in task manager->header tasks, "attempt" when you click/choose from the "running" combo box the corresponding task) - then you need to increase the xpat delay in properties->tasks, timeout, read (xpat) .
Oké, thanks for the tip.
documentation: in selected topics including 'what is new' on the website you can find description of most features. also check www.mikestammer.com .
The manual of Mike was indeed the most complete manual I've read, but I'am still missing many answers.
Just a few for example (but there are much more options, settings, underneath laying principles, etc. I would know more about):
- Properties, General, Recoverable errors; which words, digits could be entered there and why, what do they mean exactly?
- Same for Exceeding download.
- Properties, Tasks; Regular tasks, easy tasks, hard tasks? What are they?
Well I could go on and on.
I not only want to know which settings I can put where, but why as well.
i'm planning to rearrange the documentation after refining the feature set
Good luck and I hope you will "fill in" as much as possible.

Thanks for your help this far.
dengle

Post by dengle »

this topic is a bit old, but figured i'd interject a few thoughts:
- Properties, General, Recoverable errors; which words, digits could be entered there and why, what do they mean exactly?
- Same for Exceeding download.
some servers report these errors differently (different text, heck, even different errorlevels). A recoverable error would be something like too many connections or server timeout. This would tell newpro to retry after x seconds/minutes whatever.

Exceeding download - some nntp providers limit the amount of bytes/megabytes/gigabytes your account can download in a specified time. If newpro receives an errorcode for this, it can pause any processes until the exceeded bandwidth limit is reset.
- Properties, Tasks; Regular tasks, easy tasks, hard tasks? What are they?
Well I could go on and on.
I not only want to know which settings I can put where, but why as well.
If you look closely at the option window, it has the types of tasks separated already on-screen.
zwaluw

Post by zwaluw »

dengle wrote:this topic is a bit old, but figured i'd interject a few thoughts:
- KNIP -
If you look closely at the option window, it has the types of tasks separated already on-screen.
Thanks for your reply.
It was just an example of one of my questions. There are many others about other topics within NewsPro.

About the Tasks options. I would like to know the background, meaning of this settings (and for other settings as well).
- What are "hard" tasks and what are "soft" tasks?
- What happens if I change the standaard settings?
- Is it wise to change this settings and if not, why not?
- What is "A relative change to run"?
- The maximum of tasks is set to "Regular Total is 40", but beneath this setting are much more tasks mentioned. I count 126.

My point is, I would like to know the meaning of the settings, so I can figure out myself which changes to make or not.

I hope this and many other items will be worked out in a future manual.

Thanks for your input. :)
bassie

Post by bassie »

i did not read all the replies.

but what i do is using a server subset.

One of the links at the newspro homepage (Tha Lunatik) describes it.

I have newscene, and it also gave errors saying that i used too many connections. I was only allowed 9.

so i made a server subset, allowing newspro only connect to 2 servers at the same time, with a total of 8 connections.
When i said 9 connections, sometimes it went wrong.

in the properties of each individual server I allowed the server to have 8 connections. The server subset prevents that in total 16 connections are being made at the same time.

When the articles i want are only on one server, newspro automatically makes 8 connections to that server. This is faster than if i only allowed the server 3 connections in server properties tab.

Also when i do xpat at the same time, i see that for example 6 connections are used for downloading, and two are not used for that, probably they are used for xpat.

Maybe you can make a subset of a maximum of 3 connections for example.
zwaluw

Post by zwaluw »

Never used subset yet, I'll give it a try.
Thanks for the tip. :)