A Few Ideas to Make NZB Use Easier

Havs

A Few Ideas to Make NZB Use Easier

Post by Havs »

I've switched over completely to NZB files, which I'm sure alot of other users have. I've been a long time newspro user, and I will be for quite awhile longer. I recently went on a newsreader search, to see if there was a better newsreader out there, and newspro came out on top.

There's a few features that I have seen on other newsreaders that seem common amongst the best nzb readers that I think newspro would benefit from.

1) Make some sort of an auto download function available for the #~Import folder. Make it so that files can automatically start downloading as soon as they're placed into the #~Import folder. This makes things a little easier. Most people already know that they want to download everything from an nzb file they've imported, and if they don't they can simply deselect the one or two files they dont want to download. If you could allow the person to select what type of auto download is done (I myself would prefer download and save automatically) that would be even better.

2) Allow for a command line to be run when the #~Import folder (or download queue) is empty. In case anyone hasn't seen it yet, there's this little program called Rarslave that makes our lives SO much easier. When invoked, it automatically checks a particular folder (set it to your newspro default save folder in this instance), verifies the integrity of all files against any par2's in the folder, repairs the files, extracts the files into their own folder, and deletes all of the par2 and rar files (optional) when its done. There's a couple other newsreaders out there that allow you to run a command line after the download queue is empty specifically so this program can process everything you just downloaded without your interaction. I think newspro would benefit greatly from this option.
bassie

Post by bassie »

maybe point 1 is already there?

you can select from import/export menu:

import&download&save

(i have not tested it, but it looks like it does what you want?)
Havs

Post by Havs »

You're right, it is there, its the option...

Import/Export -> auto open/clipboard action -> download & Save

There's so many little things I still don't know about this program. Thanks for the help!
alex

Post by alex »

i wouldn't reduce the usenet to nzb files, but now being submerged in technical details i won't delve into such a question.

as to adding a command when the queue becomes empty it can be done, i could put something in this thread.