Problems Downloading

stevendm

Problems Downloading

Post by stevendm »

I am having problems downloading SOME files. They seem to all be in a particular group. It is alt.binaries.classic.tv on almost all of the NewsFeeds servers. I am not sure if it is a Newsfeeds thing or not. This is a very new newsgroup, only a few weeks old. Many, many of the posts have message parts with yenc errors. All of the parts show up as present, but when UE gets to these parts it just seems to cycle endlessly, requesting from all of the servers, and getting 0% of them each time. It just basically hangs everything up.

If I go to NP and tell it to download the message and then alt-G to get what is there, I get a message. Of course the message has an error, but I use the par2s to fix it. In this way I can dl with NP but not with UE.

I hope this helps you reproduce and fix this problem, because it is going to kill me to go back to NP, as good as it is.

Steven
alex

Post by alex »

like in newspro you need to uncheck 'detect yenc errors', then it will get the files, you can try to repair them. probably in newspro you have the box unchecked. in ue it is also in the articles pane in properties
stevendm

Post by stevendm »

I wish that I could say that fixed the problem, but it didn't. I unchecked the box and still did the same thing. I am not sure that it is because of the yenc errors or not. Go to the alt.binaries.class.tv newsgroup and download any of the messages for the auld.lang.syne binary. It tries and tries, but it finally just hangs and downloads nothing. Amount downloaded starys at 0%.

In NP I was checking for yenc errors and I continue to do so. I was able to dl these messages in np

Thanks. Sorry for the bad news.

Steven
alex

Post by alex »

you should check then what is the last error in properties of the task.

maybe it is "no such article" and not yenc error.

ue can work like newspro, but newspro-like behaviour is only one of its modes.

i think it was somewhere, if you see 'no such article' try to create 'article numbers' type of group (you can create another newsgroup with the same name, just use different nick to discern them), set the download bodies method in properties->articles to 'article number' and then it will work like newspro. if it works it would mean a seriously crippled server.
stevendm

Post by stevendm »

Changing it to "article numbers" in both places worked. Now my concern if for all of the other groups that I have created as "compact binary". WIll they all be crippled to work like np?
stevendm

Post by stevendm »

"Crippled" probably is not the correct word. Perhaps I should ask whether all groups will run in np compatibility mode or will all of the other "compact binary" groups take advantage of the new constructs.
alex

Post by alex »

was the download body method prior to you changing it to 'article numbers' was 'message-id' (i guess you didn't change the default to msg-id direct)?

it means your server only understands article numbers. but it is extremely bad server, for example you absolutely cannot use nzb files to download such articles.

are you using newsfeeds? i could try to talk to them, what is the group and the articles are you referring to? the problem with newsfeeds it seems they have different staff now, i chatted with someone from there several months ago, sent them an email but it went unanswered. or maybe it is ISP server?

Post by Guest »

The download body method was set to the default from when I installed it. I set it to "article numbers" and everything seems to work fine. Both the groups created as "article number" groups and the groups created as "compact binary" are downloading. I am not sure if the "compact binary" groups are as efficent as they can be, though.

Yes, it is NewsFeeds. It seems to all of their servers (both multimedias, both goliaths, and both news). The group is alt.binaries.classic.tv and it is most of the articles, but ones with "auld.lang.syne" in the name are good examples. I would appreciate if you could email them because I do not know enough technically to speak intellegently. Surely I am not the only one using NewsFeeds. Almost all of the other groups I have tried seem to be ok, just this one seems to be bad. Perhaps it is because it is new (< two weeks old).

BTW, I am a professional programmer and have been in s/w QA and I am VERY impressed with the quality of your software.

Thanks for everything

Steven
alex

Post by alex »

i forwarded that to their support, maybe they'll fix it.