Slow article download

plasmannc

Slow article download

Post by plasmannc »

I have been having problems downloading articles with binaries attached using UE.

In the time it took to download one of nine files with 10meg attachments within UE I was able to download all nine using Newspro.

I tried to first Dl using UE and the files downloaded slowly with BW rates varying between 0 - 100. Took about 5-7 minutes to get just one file.

Closed UE and opened NP and selected the same nine files. They came down quickly with a constant bandwidth indication of 160 K/sec. All nine were done within 5 - 7 minutes.

Went right back to UE and tried again. Took 5-7 minutes to get one article with its attachment.

The newsgroup involved is set up as a compact binary in UE.

Hope someone can offer some ideas. Similar settings in UE and NP are the same.

Thanks
plasmannc

More on this subject

Post by plasmannc »

Found a reply from Alex in the NP section of the forum in which he suggested creating a new newsgroup using the article ID descriptor and then downloading using also Article ID.

Set up the same news group referenced above and set it to Article ID. Then in properties/articles set download for Article ID.

And as Alex indicated the program acted like Newspro and qickly dl'd the files. Doing this however seems to defeat the very advantages of UE or am I incorrect.

What is the explanation for poor dl using either compact Binary or Message-ID? What do I need to do to improve.?

Thanks
alex

Post by alex »

creating newsgroup with the destination type 'article numbers' and changing download body method in properties->articles to 'article number'

it may be the reason if it is malfunctioning server (you need to contact the support - what server are you using?, but if it happens all the time maybe you need to consider changing the usenet provider).

another reason might be the articles are not on the server (then you see the same picture with article number groups as well). the indication of that is exactly the same, you see error number growing and when it reaches the number of parts the article goes to errors (if you set autoretry failed tasks it will go back). if you click such entry (in the task manager or in newsgroup view) and invoke 'properties' you'll see the error.

the problem is e.g. if a partial has 200 parts and it takes for the server some time to answer 'no such articles' (suppose it takes 0.1 second) then the partial will fail after 200*0.1=20 seconds / number of tasks, say with 4 tasks it would be 5 seconds.

in newspro in console it showed part by part so you saw constant failures on different servers, but the result is the same (the question sign in the newsgroup view for a partial will apear after the same time) and the downloading 'speed' or rather rate of failures is the same, just sometimes to answer 'no such articles' for a server some amount of time.
dengle

Post by dengle »

I'm using compact binaries with www.usenetserver.com and a newsfeeds.com reseller. I can max my connection out at 1200KB/sec download when I download many articles.

It may be something with your provider as Alex suggests.
plasmannc

Post by plasmannc »

It appears one of my servers may well be the cause of the problem. I presently have three servers listed, one from my ISP and two other from a usenet provider I use.

I disabled the two servers and only had my ISP server active and downloaded some files at full speed. Disabled that server and delete bodies. Redownloaded the same files with out problem from one of my usenet providers servers. I repeated this procedure and tried the third server and ran into very slow speed with frequent dl rates of 0 K/sec.

BTW the newsgroup is set to Compact binary. On the article page of properties what should the download bodies be set to? I think at present it is message-ID.

In any event can someone tell me what I need to ask my Usenet provider about the flunky server? They atend to be very responsive if I can tell what is going on.

Thanks to all.
alex

Post by alex »

in short if newspro works and ue doesn't i described the problem already.

the server error might be 'no such article' and because of the aggregated delays you see the low download speed (ue asks server for an article body, server thinks a while and returns 'no such article', because of the delay in the server responce download speed is low), or if in the running task pane you don't see task changing server doesn't respond at all and we have read timeout then.

so then the answer is to run ue in the newspro mode (see above or in the another thread) or to talk to usenet provider or switch the provider.

if such errors have place you cannot download with the help of nzb files with any newsreader program from such groups since the server only understands article numbers and nzb files don't contain them since article numbers differ from server to server.