Save-To window stuck underneath maximized newspro

minaret

Save-To window stuck underneath maximized newspro

Post by minaret »

I have newspro maximized on the desktop. Somehow the Save To: dialog has opened underneath the app, and I have absolutely no access to it. The newspro window is frozen since the live window is the dialog box, but with newspro maximized it's completely unresponsive. How do I get the Save dialog to come to the top?

min.
alex

Post by alex »

can you reproduce it, if so how can i reproduce it?

in usenet explorer i don't use the folder dialog any more (it is all my code, but windows z-order is not directly related to the code itself) , but it is possible i'll use it (an adopted version) as an option until the next windows version will be published since the standard dialog creates 'new folder' sporadically.
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

To get the dialogue box back, use Win-Res-Q. There are other similar programs around but I've used this and it's done the job for me. You'll find that it can pick up a lot of windows that should stay hidden so be careful which one you tell it to get back for you.
minaret

Post by minaret »

I had already tried winresq after the first time this happened a few weeks ago. It wasnt able to show me the window.

The problem is definitely reproduceable as it's happened several times now and is driving me crazy.

I had newspro maximized. I had a series of downloads in progress, with autosave set to every 10 minutes. I selected a new set of articles, (approx 20). I right-clicked on them, and selected "Download and save as". At the exact moment in which I right-clicked and selected "Download and Save as", the autosave window popped up. This brought the autosave window to the top, and pushed the "Download and save as" dialog, for some reason, BEHIND the main newspro window. Since newspro was maximized, and the "download and save as" dialog was waiting for input but was behind the main app, the app was effectively locked. I tried changing resolution, increasing/decreasing the height of the taskbar, using nvidia's "collapse to menubar" option... nothing worked. This is the third or fourth time now that I've had to kill newspro through the task manager because of this problem.

In the meantime I'm going to disable "visible autosave progress" or whatever it's called.
alex

Post by alex »

i'll try to reproduce it given this scenario and/or look at the code how the focus is switched; unchecking visibility should be a solution, since if no dialog pops up definitely there will be no switching focus.
alex

Post by alex »

parent of the browse for folder dialog is the main frame, the dialog which pops up sets focus inside it away from the cancel button, otherwise if you press 'return' when it popped up it would be cancelled.

as to the test what i did autosave visible, bandwidth set to 1KB per second so i have some time, invoke download&save, then i'm downloading a small file and in the same time i invoke download&save on other messages but don't close the select directory dialog so it will be shown while the autosave dialog pops up.

i tried in two different attempts to press arrow keys/click mouse in the "select folder" dialog, no problem the autosave dialog pops up and disappears the directory dialog is where it should be.

the result is the same whether newspro window is maximized or not.

so if you didn't have the problem before for years since nothing changed in the related code since at least 2000 check what changed in your system configuration.

i was checking in winxp, you can try the same to see whether the result will be different or not, in short it is very easy to reproduce the condition when the autosave dialog pops up while the select directory dialog is open and you are pressing/clicking in it.
Rodent

Re: Save-To window stuck underneath maximized newspro

Post by Rodent »

minaret wrote:I have newspro maximized on the desktop. Somehow the Save To: dialog has opened underneath the app, and I have absolutely no access to it. The newspro window is frozen since the live window is the dialog box, but with newspro maximized it's completely unresponsive. How do I get the Save dialog to come to the top?

min.
In UE the dialog can also be hidden behind the main window if you shift focus to another window and back again, while the dialog is open. It is easy to get back using Alt+Tab though. But I guess you have tried that in this case?