Scroll problem in Vista

jjaapp

Scroll problem in Vista

Post by jjaapp »

My scroll function in the "search service" window will not work anymore in windows Vista.
(In windows XP it works normal)
The problem only appears in the "search service" pane, in all other panes the scroll function works normal.
I currently use windows Vista RC1 build 5600

with regards,
Jaap
alex

Post by alex »

which scroll, with mouse wheel, mouse button or with keys?

i have older vista here (newer one i can install only later since i'm right now on a slow connection), i could check the problem there would be there too although i didn't notice anything. do you remember it worked in previous vista betas?
jjaapp

Post by jjaapp »

sorry i didn't say it immediately
it is about the mouse scrollwheel
the page up- an down keys on the keyboard works normal
under the previous vista release, beta 2, i had the same problem
and it appears only in the "search service" pane of U.E.
in all other panes of U.E. and all other programs i use so far it works normal.

it's just a little unhandy :wink:

grtz. Jaap
alex

Post by alex »

in the task manager panes does it work?

task manager views are like the search service view as to scrolling
jjaapp

Post by jjaapp »

no, in taskmanager pane the scrollwheel don't work either !
i normally don't scroll in taskmanager pane so i didn't notice before
but indeed: here also it won't work with the scrollwheel
(page up- an down keys on keyboard works normal)
to indicate: when i try to scroll in Search and Taskmanager panes i see the article headers flickering, but i don't see the page scrolling down.

i use a usb mouse, and tried different settings in the mouse setup, but with no result.

it's no matter of life and death :lol: but it worked always fine under XP, so i just wondering why it won't work under Vista

grtz. Jaap
Bert

Post by Bert »

Same here, no mousewheel scroll in the search pane.

But it works in the console window.
alex

Post by alex »

my old windows vista beta stopped working but i remember mouse wheel worked there and but it didn't work initially.

if i won't be able to get the latest vista in time (i'm on a slow connection right now) i may ask my brother to check thus it should work in the next release unles they will fix it by then.
jjaapp

Post by jjaapp »

ok, don't hurry, i trust and i am sure it will work fine again in a forthcoming release. T.i.a.

your vista stopped working?
:) an illegal beta version?... :)

grtz. Jaap
Bert

Post by Bert »

Free beta keys can be obtained from the Microsoft Vista site at the moment.

They it should work for all beta's and RC's until July 2007.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/
alex

Post by alex »

now i remember (was a long time ago).

scrolling was ok in the beta which i used when i released "vista friendly" ue release (see release history) and i may adjusted scroll to work in that beta, i don't remember, or it worked by itself starting with the last beta which i used for tests.

so now the question did scroll stop working in RC1 and it did work before?

if so most likely it was broken in RC1, i got email about RC1 here.

i started working with an earlier beta and fixed few bugs there which were caused by windows; when i finished there was another release and most bugs which i "fixed" were fixed in their release.

so if they broke something in RC1 it is likely to be fixed in the next windows release, if i get the newer vista release before they fixed it i fix it in UE code myself unless it is some apparent windows bug which shouldn't be fixed.
jjaapp

Post by jjaapp »

well, as far as i remember the scrollfunction did not work either on the Beta version i used before RC1.
i can't remember the beta version number i used then.
so i think it's not a problem introduced in RC1, but probably appeared on (all?) Vista Beta versions. (maybe excluding the version you used)

grtz. Jaap
alex

Post by alex »

i used some beta from several months ago, it was the first beta which didn't lock up when ue was starting (i fixed the lockup but then was the next beta in which they fixed the lockup problem themselves).

but anyway i think i'll be able to check it rather sooner than later, so no problem.
alex

Post by alex »

i'm back to a faster connection, vista download almost complete, so within few days i'll be able to check this issue (i'm reinstalling all systems here from scratch).
alex

Post by alex »

i finally installed vista today.

the cause is the list control function GetItemPosition (LVM_GETITEMPOSITION) is broken, maybe someone can report it to Microsoft. the function retrieves the coordinate of the upper-left corner of a list item by the item number. the function always returns success with some constant large numbers instead of the requested coordinate, so the difference in item position when scrolling is zero and the window doesn't scroll.

from other side the function GetItemRect is not broken so i'll just use it instead (so it will return the rectangle instead of position and i'll just take the top coordinate which i need in this case).

i'm using the broken function only in one place (it is called from both search service and task manager views or like), so it is the only location where i need to change it.

but in short bug in windows, and i remember it worked in the earlier beta i had here, i would notice back then.
alex

Post by alex »

i handled it in v1.7.2 among other third party issues, otherwise it would take too long and they would fix it first :)