"Small" requested features

Most wanted small features (one vote per user)

inline viewing of .nfo and other types of text attachments
23%
NewsPro - like console
13%
download thread and other reasonable thread operations
No votes
different background for different header states - read, new, deleted etc.
2%
better focus and scroll management in newsgroup views
19%
task manager, sort queue by different columns (but probably treating download/immedate and later queue segments separatedly)
8%
moving messages with bodies to/between archive (the same as import group type) folders.
2%
autocreate directory option
21%
jpg/gif/other image auto fit-toscreen resize option
8%
import/export servers
5%

Total votes: 62

Haak

Post by Haak »

alex wrote:it seems with v1.7.1 all most asked features above have been covered, so we may compile another list of features (not necessarily small, just one list).
A feature which I desperately am looking for a long time, and what I really like to have in UE, is the possibility to create a 'descript.ion' file in the download directories, which contains the subject-line of the downloaded files.

Because I download a lot from the e-book.* and pocketpc.* groups and archive them directly on disk/DVD, it is convenient to have some more information of a file/archive available than just the filename only.
And as there are more and more filemanagers, image viewers and (disk) catalog programs that support these descript.ion files, it is very useful if you can easily manage or search your (archived) downloads with one of these programs.

I am aware of the nice utility from Mike Stammer (NPDL), but unfortunately this is not as handy as having a descript.ion file right away in the download directories, because NPDL requires a lot of manual intervention, while the descript.ion files are more or less a standard for file comments nowadays, and direct ready for use by the programs that support it.

If you can add this option to UE, I would be really grateful, and it makes the best newsreader for me even better ;-)
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

I have a few ideas.

I would like an option to open all newsgroups and folders at once.
At the time I have to select all folders and select open, then I select all newsgroups and select open.
Offcourse an option to open all and get new headers would be handy too then.

If it's doable I would also like to see an option for the accumulated download to count back from a given setpoint. Handy for pay by download users primarily.

And last I must say I support Haak's idea.
Glamdring

Post by Glamdring »

Alex,

I would like to see an export to NZB function.

Kind regards,

Richard
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

Glamdring wrote:I would like to see an export to NZB function.
Select headers, right-click->Advanced->Export headers. Or were you thinking of something else entirely?
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Two things I would like to see.

First, when you go to properties--newsgroups there is a save path option that you can tell UE where to save files. This is fine but a bit clumsy.

Is there a way to add the ability to type in just a directory name here, instead of the full path, that will simply create a sub-folder under the "default" ? I.E. under all my MP3 groups I just type "MP3" This way anything in any of those groups will download to \default\MP3.

The reason is this will allow you to move the default folder to another HD or directory if space gets low and still allow everything to work. It would add total flexibility. Right now you cannot even highlight all the folders to change them. It is a one by one process that you cannot even cut/paste the folder in the box, it is a browse to each folder to select option. Very time consuming to change.

---------------------------------
Second can the "split newsgroup view" save a default setting that the program will use when opening a new folder? It always opens with that closed.

What would be cool is add the option to properties--newsgroups next to sort by and collections, to tell the program your initial view options. Also add how far down the split is would be cool. The program does remember the currently opened folders split level now. if you could just save this when you close so it re-opened them this way that would work.
:)
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

Paladin wrote:Is there a way to add the ability to type in just a directory name here, instead of the full path, that will simply create a sub-folder under the "default" ? I.E. under all my MP3 groups I just type "MP3" This way anything in any of those groups will download to \default\MP3.

The reason is this will allow you to move the default folder to another HD or directory if space gets low and still allow everything to work. It would add total flexibility. Right now you cannot even highlight all the folders to change them. It is a one by one process that you cannot even cut/paste the folder in the box, it is a browse to each folder to select option. Very time consuming to change.
In Properties->Newsgroups->Save: you can type or browse to a path. If you define a directory for each group, e.g. you have several MP3 groups subscribed but you've put them in a folder called 'MP3' and assign a path to just the folder then each time you open that folder UE will default to saving there. If you were to open a group within that folder separately then UE would save to the Default directory (as set in the same dialogue but the first, Default entry).

This, of course, becomes problematic when multiple types of articles are posted to groups. For that there is no current quick way around it.
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Josef K wrote:
In Properties->Newsgroups->Save: you can type or browse to a path. If you define a directory for each group, e.g. you have several MP3 groups subscribed but you've put them in a folder called 'MP3' and assign a path to just the folder then each time you open that folder UE will default to saving there. If you were to open a group within that folder separately then UE would save to the Default directory (as set in the same dialogue but the first, Default entry).

This, of course, becomes problematic when multiple types of articles are posted to groups. For that there is no current quick way around it.
Thanks. I was actually wanting to just add the folder name, not the full path. :) If you want to move all of those, you have to do them all manually one by one. What I would like is just a folder name listed there that would save under the \default. So if I change default, they all get saved automatically under default no matter where it is.
alex

Post by alex »

if you have more than one save folder so several newsgroups/folder fall into it you can choose the newsgroups/folders in properties->newsgroups, select a folder then press "copy" and then press "paste" (to the right of "browse") to propagate the save location to all selected entries in the list.
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

alex wrote:if you have more than one save folder so several newsgroups/folder fall into it you can choose the newsgroups/folders in properties->newsgroups, select a folder then press "copy" and then press "paste" (to the right of "browse") to propagate the save location to all selected entries in the list.
That is a good work around and I did figure that out, thanks. As I said it was just an additon suggestion to allow a one spot setup.
If full path use that, if not crate and use the folder under the default.
Herbert Kornfeld

Post by Herbert Kornfeld »

Just a quick request. It would be useful if you could right click the name of the newsgroup from the search service results and subscribe to the newsgroup. I often find new groups this way, and this feature would save a few steps.

Thanks
alex

Post by alex »

in about a week i finish with my current rearrangements (now almost done) and then i'll recheck small requests list among other development options, maybe i'll make few small releases as warm-up and then be working on major features.
bassie

Post by bassie »

I started posting warez for some time now and what i would like is more flexibility in the posting.

- i would like to start the post with a small par2 file, then go on with the rars, and then the final pars.
Now it is first rars, then the pars.
so:
par2 (1 file: single part)
nzb
rar (many files)
par2 (many files)

The small par2 file is convenient, the downloader can easily check with this file how many parts he still needs.

for big posts (like now, i have 7 gigabyte to post) downloaders will have to wait for the first par2 file to arrive at the end.
For small posts change of the current situation is not necessary.

Another thing: During posting i cannot browse through the files in the list. I also don't see the par2 files in the list (however i know they have been calculated and so will be posted of course). And i cannot pause the post.

But all of this might be considered a big change. Although putting the 1 small par2 file at the start of the post shouldn't be that difficult to manage i guess.