Problem saving attachments

hhsdc34

Problem saving attachments

Post by hhsdc34 »

I've been encountering this problem off and on. I will select some attachments that I have downloaded and select save attachments. Everything behaves normally until a certain point where as it is saving the attachments the "saving progress" box just freezes. It stops saving attachments and the box just hangs there. I can cancel the "saving progress" box but it usually takes about 1/2 hour before it disappears. I also notice that norton is scanning one of the attachments at about the same time it freezes. When I go back to selecting the remaining attachments to save everything behaves normally until the "saving progress" box appears and it just saves one attachment and hangs. This time no Norton antivirus scan. Usually I have to shutdown newspro and restart and it comes right back, except for this time. I shut down newspro and restarted. Now when I save attachments even if it is just one attachment the "saving progress" box just hangs. Anyone else have this problem?
alex

Post by alex »

most probably it is bug in norton which locks access to the file, newspro reacts to the 'cancel' button after it has completed the currently saved attachment.

we can speculate about the cause of the norton bug, since saving attachments is done in multiple threads, probably norton has problem handling many threads, try to use 'download&save' instead of just 'save' (even when attachments have bodies), then attachments will be queued in a single thread, maybe it will help to defeat the norton bug.

the saving attachments box might be invisible then, whether to show the box is set in tasks menu->autosave->visible saving attachments message box (or something like that).
dengle

Post by dengle »

if it's a zip file that is large, I believe norton will attempt to read and scan the contents of that zip file as well which could greatly slow down the process.