Connection Refused 10061

Dave RL

Connection Refused 10061

Post by Dave RL »

Alex,

Hope things are going well. I just subscribed to usenetserver.com and was configuring my newspro to take advantage of the extra server.
I have usenetserver setup as the only server to download headers and the other ISP servers as direct with NH/NB.
I should be able to get 4-6 concurrent connections but I keep getting 10061 errors when downloading headers from the server.
I had no previous problem with the on my ISP's servers. Any Ideas?

My problem seems similar to the one described in the link below. I only have a linksys router/firewall and I know that I have the port open. could it be due to some NAT issue?
http://www.netwu.com/newspro/phpBB2/vie ... ight=10061

-Dave
Bodach

Post by Bodach »

Over the last few weeks UNS has had problems. Check their network page here:

http://www.usenetserver.com/network.php

It's still happening for me today. Just keep trying them and they eventually go through.
bassie

Post by bassie »

I also have usenetserver.

And i get now and then the same error message. Eventhough I use the 2
connections per server (so total 4 connections).

Could indeed be the troubles they have these last few weeks already.

Also I find that the downloading, now and then, just drops to speed 0 for a minute or so, and then restarts downloading. So hopefulle this is temporarily and maybe we just have to wait untie UNS solves their problems.

I also have a linksys router btw, but (hopefully) i think that is not the problem.
Dave RL

Post by Dave RL »

Thanks for the quick response,

I didn't see the latest status earlier today about the connections but I guess they are limited to some point on their side. I added the entries for nntp1 and nntp2 and I'll set them to
2 connections each but I did see some site that said that allowed up to 6 concurrent connections, is this correct?

thanks again,

-Dave
bassie

Post by bassie »

i cannot remember where i read 4 threads.

but i think you offically can only use 4, any extra can cause the usenetserver to give remarks.
by the way, at the moment usenetserver is not doing anything for me.
Only my ISP server is doing xpat and downloading. There now appears a red diamond in newspro for the usenetserver.
There is a message on their homepage about errors.

somewhat later, xpat does not work, but downloading headers does.
dengle

usenetserver

Post by dengle »

I'm also a usenetserver user. I've also had sporadic connection refused errors, but as others have mentioned, that was due to their on-going maintenance. Just try back after a few minutes and it should let you in.

As an FYI, I've found that the "keep alive" setting (option found on bottom right of the general properties page) tends to give a "too many connections" error on usenetserver.com servers, even with a 4 second reconnect delay.

Once I turned that option off, it works like a charm with no noticeable speed issues. I have 4 connections per usenetserver.com server. (there's 3 servers you can access, fyi: news.usenetserver.com, nntp1, and nntp2 for a total of twelve connections! :-D )
bassie

Re: usenetserver

Post by bassie »

dengle wrote:I'm also a usenetserver user. I've also had sporadic connection refused errors, but as others have mentioned, that was due to their on-going maintenance. Just try back after a few minutes and it should let you in.

As an FYI, I've found that the "keep alive" setting (option found on bottom right of the general properties page) tends to give a "too many connections" error on usenetserver.com servers, even with a 4 second reconnect delay.

Once I turned that option off, it works like a charm with no noticeable speed issues. I have 4 connections per usenetserver.com server. (there's 3 servers you can access, fyi: news.usenetserver.com, nntp1, and nntp2 for a total of twelve connections! :-D )
That looks like a good hint. I will try it later.

Could it be that a lot of users of usenetserver use those 3 servers and make 12 connections? And that this can cause problems with usenetserver they have now?
I remember some weeks ago usenetserver put on the homepage that there were too many connections leading to troubles? So officially they allow subscribers to use 4 connections to news.usenetserver.com, but probably most of the users know that they can connect to more servers, having many connections.
dengle

Post by dengle »

The tech support told me of nntp1 and nntp2 servers when news.usenetserver.com was having issues. They made no mention of whether it should only be used on a temporary basis.

I believe the too many connections issue was due to the storage issues they had. I guess with half of the storage down, the remaining storage arrays had to handle the connections? I'm not sure of their network topology, but from the network status page logs, it seemed directly related to server-side issues they were experiencing.