Request: NewsPro Filter import in UE

Robert2413

Request: NewsPro Filter import in UE

Post by Robert2413 »

I've been using NewsPro for about 3 years and have developed some filters with hundreds of lines, which is to be expected if one is interested in, say, anime groups, and one wishes to automatically ignore reposts of old material. I have been using UE for 2 days and am blown away by the increases in speed and its light processor requirements compared to NewsPro. One thing that I would greatly appreciate would be the ability to import NewsPro "initial filters" into UE, which would preserve a lot of work. I understand that UE initial filters are "coming soon"; here's hoping that they will be compatible with NewsPro's!

(One off-topic comment: I think UE could be a big hit if it had documentation commensurate with the high quality of the program's coding. Documentation has always been NewsPro's weakest point. UE addresses NewsPro's other major weakness -- its tendency to bring even a fast machine to its knees for minutes at a time -- and a high quality manual will complete the job.)
alex

Post by alex »

the filters might be convertible but maybe not 100% the same (you still can use boolean wildmats but apply to selected or ban extract most probably won't exist, there will be an expression instead which achieves the same).

i still need to plan my work, right now i'm not working on filters but there is a place for filters in the code and there is hidden filter dialog but no other internals implemented.

in the meantime i give utmost attention to very few crashes which are coming in, with more users running the program there should be more crash statistics, fault tolerancy is good but increasing absolute stability (statistical reliability) is good as well especially when it is v1.0. with newspro it was more difficult since i used microsoft library layer which behaves like an "oracle" or black box, with ue i have much more under my control.
alex

Post by alex »

but anyway i looking at posts what is most asked so i'll give it a priority, at least to provide a decent replacement, not worse than the original implementation.