Question about Retention & Purging

Cynyster

Question about Retention & Purging

Post by Cynyster »

:shock:
Ok I realize this is probably something very simple (must have a brain fart) :oops:

I set a very large binary group as follows(over 2million articles)
I set the initial Mode to load (its the group I use the most)
I set the retention to natural ( would like it to be two weeks - do I just type in 14d ?
Headers per server are set to all "the rest" is set to retain. Reclaim Purged headers is set to yes.

What I am used to doing in news pro is going through and deleting the articles headers that I do not have an interest in and those articles I download a binary from are automatically deleted when the attachment is saved. If I accidentally delete somthing I can always hit the undelete button.

news pro kept track of the articles that were deleted and didn't redownload the headers.

How do I set this up in UE?

what I have done so far is Highlight the article I don't have an interest in and hit shift delete (delete headers and replies) but after I had done that checking for new headers downloaded all 2 million headers again (or at least it seemed like it)

I am thinking now perhaps my process for newpro is not the best way to handle it here with UE

Thanks for any help!
alex

Post by alex »

it depends on what newsgroup destinaton type are you using.

did you reset newsgroup before getting headers again? otherwise they were not supposed to be downloaded again.

if you don't use compact binary type you can enable storage for purged/deleted in properties->general by checking corresponding boxes.

if you use compact binary the storage won't be always engaged so you just delete headers but don't purge them. if you want to get headers again you invoke 'rescan' (but in properties->general it is set to get only N last headers, if you delete the number it will get all of them) or 'reset header range' from advanced submenu in workspace view context menu, it will get all headers again.

as long as the header is in the database it won't lose its 'deleted' flag.

there is some info about it in help notes.

if i missed something let me know what it is.
Cynyster

Purging

Post by Cynyster »

Thanks Alex.
I think perhaps I may have found the problem, the default choices under the Generral Tab have a section called "Tracking expired/ purged headers"
Nothing was checked there. :roll:

If that doesn't take care of it I'll post again

Thanks again. and Thanks for an awesome product.