Incomplete Multipare Messages?

stevendm

Incomplete Multipare Messages?

Post by stevendm »

I tried UE 1.0 a few days ago and it looks very good. I am still deciding whether to switch now or wait a little while.

Does the current version 1.0.1 of UE allow me to manually go in and download the individual parts of a multi-part message if not all parts are available and manually combine then (like alt-G in NP)?

Thanks. Keep up the good work. I was afraid that you had abandoned NP but now I see that you were working on something much better.

Steven
alex

Post by alex »

there is no option to manually combine parts, but in principle it could be added, to combine bodies into one large single message, just with par2 it is not clear whether this is needed.

to show parts there is regedit like icon (but in our case it means 'parts'), you can expand a partial and see its parts, you can e.g. mark some parts as deleted or purge them.

yes now i'm trying to get out of the box :)
stevendm

Post by stevendm »

Even with par2s it is necessary. I have found that in the last week Newsfeeds has a lot of messages partially missing. The pars are not enought to make them whole again. When I can get the partial messages, the pars are then good enough to fill in the gaps. Please consider adding this into UE.

Thanks
jaapf

Post by jaapf »

stevendm wrote:Even with par2s it is necessary. I have found that in the last week Newsfeeds has a lot of messages partially missing. The pars are not enought to make them whole again. When I can get the partial messages, the pars are then good enough to fill in the gaps. Please consider adding this into UE.

Thanks
Partial messages will still be downloaded and saved.
This is all automatic, no need to manually combine them.
Dutch? Visit the Dutch UE/Newspro forum at: http://www.binaries4all.nl
Nederlandse UE handleiding op http://www.binaries4all.nl/ue
English UE tutorial online at http://www.binaries4all.com/ue/
Handy links at: http://jpfx.zapto.org/
michael

Post by michael »

i don't know if this is the samr issuye, but i cant find the "fin all part and save attachments" feauture from NP. UE does not automatically save partials, it downloads them, but not save them. As stevendm wrote it is often necessary to save partials, even with par2.

so,how can we save particals with ue?
alex

Post by alex »

in newspro the option was necessary when the first part has been missing, so in view without autopartial support you had to select all parts, download bodies and then use the option (as i remember).

in ue it shows partials without the first part as a separate entry, just designating them with red color on the top of their icons (since you cannot preview such attachments since frequently file header is in the beginning so better to indicate that in icon but e.g. for par2 recovery it is useful data).

to download&save attachments just use 'download&save' in ue, the newspro "find parts and save attachments" option has been made unnecessary.

Post by Guest »

In UE, is there any way to emulate the feature in NewsPro where one could specify "download and save" on a partial message and NewsPro would download the parts as they became available on the server but would wait until all parts were available before saving the attachment? In UE, it seems that if you mark a partial for 'download and save', UE will save whatever parts were available when you marked the partial, which is usually not the desired outcome.

The practical use for this functionality is if all of the parts of a rar show up after a 'get new headers' operation but some parts are incomplete. It is easier to mark all parts, both complete and incomplete, for download at the same time instead of waiting until the incompletes become complete before marking them.

This functionality is particularly useful if there is a scheduler (as there is in NewsPro) because the scheduler will usually cause the missing parts to eventually be detected as present (in a 'get new headers' operation). Then the missing parts are downloaded with no extra intervention from the user and decoding occurs automatically when all parts are available.
alex

Post by alex »

maybe you are talking about the current option properties->articles, don't delete incomplete bodies?

the article then remains in the downloads pane (although you can save the attachment), but when a new part arrives it automatically downloads it, at least i remember it works this way.

in newspro i think it didn't keep the track since there was no data structure keeping downloaded articles.
stevendm

Post by stevendm »

I am confused.

Scenario: I have a multipart message where 18 of 20 parts are available. It is marked with a icon where the bottom is green and the top is gray. I select it and press ctrl-d (download and save). UE chuggs away for a while and stops with the same icon, but a red question mark is over it. No file is saved. I am assuming that 18 of the parts have been downloaded.

How do I check to see how many parts have actually been downloaded to my computer? If some parts are here, how do I force a combine so that I get a file that can be fixe with par2s?

Thanks.
alex

Post by alex »

question sign is something different, it means an error, probably some parts are not available on the server. it doesn't save attachments in such a case, but if a part arrives it will mark it for download again.

you can still invoke 'save attachments' and save what has been downloaded without deleting it.

then you can try par2 recovery if it doesn't work you need to find more parts.
stevendm

Post by stevendm »

It looks like none of the 18 supposedly available mesasge parts were downloaded. Is there any way to look and tell if they have been downloaded to my machine?
alex

Post by alex »

just invoke properties from the context menu (F2?) it will show which parts have bodies and if there is an error - the last error (most probably no such article).
stevendm

Post by stevendm »

Works great. The particular mp message I was working with just seems to be totalloy messed up on the server. But others were just great.

BTW, properties is now F4 in UE (it was F2 in NP).

Post by Guest »

alex wrote:maybe you are talking about the current option properties->articles, don't delete incomplete bodies?

the article then remains in the downloads pane (although you can save the attachment), but when a new part arrives it automatically downloads it, at least i remember it works this way.

in newspro i think it didn't keep the track since there was no data structure keeping downloaded articles.
I have "don't delete incomplete bodies" checked.

The reason I posted my question was that in UE I apecified "download and save attachments" on an incomplete article. UE downloaded and saved the incomplete parts immediately, combining them and writing an file with missing parts (which is potentially useful used with PAR2, but not what one wants if it is only a matter of time before all the missing parts become available on the server). In NewsPro, one would have had to invoke <alt> A to force a save to get the same (undesired) effect. In NewsPro, if one did not manually force a save, the program would wait until all parts were available on the server and had been downloaded before it saved the attachment. This is the behavior I am trying to emulate with UE.
stevendm

Post by stevendm »

Things are much better now. I got an email from NewsFeeds support that I had a corrupted database entry on their end. They repaired it and (other than one more problem not related to UE) I seem to be going good. Thanks for putting up with me.

(I will post this same message on the other thread for closure so that people to not think there was a problem with UE.)

Steven