Pause button

Andy

Pause button

Post by Andy »

Hi Alex,

I find the pause button terribly useful, but sometimes forget to unpause, and come back to find that i've been downloading at 30KB/sec rather than 230KB/Sec. Could we have an option in the "Pause button pressed" settings which times out the pause button after a user entered time? So, I could enter 30 minutes in the setting, and have it unpause after the time has elapsed.

Thanks again! Loving UE.

Andy.
alex

Post by alex »

i'm still thinking what exactly to do.

the pause button is it not those kind of things which the next time you don't forget?
m0davis

Post by m0davis »

alex wrote:i'm still thinking what exactly to do.

the pause button is it not those kind of things which the next time you don't forget?
No, Alex. I often forget to unpause as well. I'm sure lots of other people who use VoIP do too. Here's how it works: I get a call, then I hit pause b/c of bad quality of the phone call. The phone conversation goes on for 30 min, and then I'm totally thinking about other things. 10 hours later, I remember to unpause, in which time I've missed gigabytes of downloads, and am totally frustrated.

Please, this is a very simple fix to UE: just allow an option which unpauses after a specified period of time. It could be an option under Properties->General.
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

I have myself had a few moments when this would have been useful. I was doing maintenance on another system in my network and needed to download a few things (patches, etc.). Pausing the queue means being on my main system, pause UE, go into another room, complete the downloads, remember to come back to unpause the queue. The problem being I think 'I'll just do a couple of things and then go and unpause the queue - that way it can be doing something useful while I'm away on my other computer'. Of course I always get sucked into it and end up doing everything, therefore leaving the queue paused much longer than it needs to be.

I would really like a drop down list button with:

Pause for
10 min
20 min
30 min
etc.
m0davis wrote:Please, this is a very simple fix to UE: just allow an option which unpauses after a specified period of time. It could be an option under Properties->General.
Further to this I would find a simple dialogue box with 'UE is about to restart the queue' and buttons 'OK, Keep paused for n minutes' (where n is the previously selected duration) and a countdown timer (configurable, maybe) until 'OK' is auto-clicked.

This is maybe more than anyone thinks is necessary but... if you're ever bored for something to do, Alex... :wink:
hiredirects

Post by hiredirects »

I concur. Pause feautures such as Josesph suggested would be THE "killer" feature. I can't tell you hgow many times in paused NP only to realized hours and hours later that I forgot to unpause!
Gary Gnews

Post by Gary Gnews »

I must confess...I've done this, too. If you do add a feature like this, it could be way-over-the-top-customizable by allowing UE to un-pause once a certain level of bandwidth, mem%, or proc% has been maintained for x#minutes. Like I said, this is overkill, but it would allow "pause" to be dummy-proof since we all use it for different reasons.
-- GG
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

hiredirects wrote:THE "killer" feature.
Now that for me would have to be filtering on NNTP posting host. Too much sporge out there for my liking. An auto restart I'd class more as an idiot-saver - I really should have a good enough memory to remember to unpause UE but I don't. :x
dengle

Post by dengle »

Perhaps the pause button should be split. One the traditional "pause". Another a Pause with timer. When you click it, it prompts you for how long or is at least set within the tasks properties.
Dave RL

Post by Dave RL »

I have also paused UE and forgot to un-pause it. I think this would be a good
feature and I like Josef's idea but will wait to see what alex is thinking about.

I would keep the pause button add the tiny dropdown arrow (like in word or excel) that opens up the 10, 20 30 minute list.

Actually 10 30 1hr 2hr might be better

anyway my 2 cents
alex

Post by alex »

i'll add the dropdown, i checked it just now, no problem, i'm still busy with a future topic (it is the reason why i'm not so responsive, i cracked something yesterday).
hiredirects

Post by hiredirects »

Alex thanks for the pause button!!!

believe it or not, this may be the reason I upgrade from NP to UE!

I do have three humble requests.....

1) to the available pause times, could you add:

-5 minuntes. In my case I often need UE/NP paused only for a few minuntes as I need extra bandwidth for something very quickly, or I am doing some testing on the network.

and

-"indefinate" or "permanent" - this would stay paused until clicked.

2) could you add the pause-times functionality to the icon in the tray? Ususally when I need to pause UE, it is for a short time, I often need to do it multiple times in an hour. So, I find myself pausing/unpausing frequently. And, since I usually have UE minimized, this option in the tray icon would be very beneficial.

Related idea.... in the pop-up that comes up when hovering over the UE tray-icon, you could show the paused-status, the download speed, and time left! very beneficial!

thanks very, very ,very much
Andy

Post by Andy »

alex wrote:i'll add the dropdown, i checked it just now, no problem, i'm still busy with a future topic (it is the reason why i'm not so responsive, i cracked something yesterday).
Thankyou very much Alex!

Cheers

Andy