Importing groups from newspro (and other q's)?

sturkimov

Importing groups from newspro (and other q's)?

Post by sturkimov »

Hi there ...

I admit, I'm a bit lazy, so, is it possible to import the group list from Newspro?

Secondly, I've been using Newspro for, 3 years atleast, and I'm very used to the interface. UE is quite different, which bugs me a bit. So are there any plans to add an option that makes UE look more like Newspro? I specially have a problem with task manager, as I very much liked the Newspro way, of a 'floating' task manager (and not so much buttons :).

Thirdly, I keep getting bugged about 'wanting' to delete the header when downloading. Is there anyway to shut this dialog up?
alex

Post by alex »

no it is not possible since import is not implemented in ue.

these are different programs, task manager is different, i believe it is better in ue, you can make it to be as tabbed window in the main view instead of docked, but there is no floating dialog style, it could be made floating but it would hinder other views (like in newspro).

as to newspro options it is likely in ue i will eventually add scheduler, permanent filters and and everything associated with them.

as to 'wanting' to delete the header you can disable it in properties->articles->saving attachments->ask for delete.

you don't have to switch to ue, even when you see me adding small options you can request to add them to newspro as well, all except for the framework bound issues, since frameworks are different (like if opening a folder is 20 times faster in ue it is not possible to do it the same in newpsro).
hiredirects

Post by hiredirects »

as to 'wanting' to delete the header you can disable it in properties->articles->saving attachments->ask for delete.
thanks for answering this Alex - it was driving me cray and I couldn't figure it out!

you don't have to switch to ue, even when you see me adding small options you can request to add them to newspro as well
I very much appreciate your attitude Alex. Truth be told, at this point the only compelling reasons for me to switch is the "lighter" resource load of UE, the "save all" feature (great!), and the new Pause feature. I use UE/NP exclusively with index services, I no longer download massive amounts of headers for usenet, so the resource issue of NP is not an issue (I have lots of memory, hard drive space and fast cpu anyway). So, if you could use implement the pause-times in NP I probably would stay there for a while. ;)

Thanks for all your great work!
alex

Post by alex »

the pause button i don't know whether i can add it in the graphic library i'm using in newspro, just it dates back to times of visual studio 6 and has similar to that interface features (i checked it and it seems it doesn't have dropdown menus in its toolbars), it could shown instead a dialog with the pause times. to upgrade the library quite difficult since there always places in the third party code i need to fix to tailor it to my needs.

the save all button in newspro is not possible, it can be done only in the heavy way through restart.

probably ue will have a built-in indexing service, newzbin is now running on the algorithm i gave them back in march ("new faster search implemented" :) ), but two days ago i came up with an idea of a much better algorithm, so i'll write the software (not too much work) but then we need to think then how to organize that (i'll try to make a deal with a provider in which case the service will be free, i'll keep all transparent when it will be ready, i don't want to profit on running a service).
hiredirects

Post by hiredirects »

that index search idea is great!!!!

A nice touch would be to "save" the searches so that they could be recalled uponcrequest. For example, I may want to search for "marillion" in "music" but don't want to retype it and selelct "music" everytime. Perhaps even have a auto-searhc of all search marked "favorite".

I know this is an idea that isn't that important, but I know I would love it!

On a related note, would it be difficult to add the ability to run par2 automatically in specified folder and then, if repair is done, run rar to extract them? Or is UE not the right program for this?

thanks again!