Can't start 1.02 (reg. version) on Win98SE

Evans

Can't start 1.02 (reg. version) on Win98SE

Post by Evans »

Hi,

I'm a registered user of Usenet Explorer, so some days ago (when it came out) I downloaded version 1.02 to update 1.01. But when I try to start 1.02 on my Windws 98 SE-PC (double-click on UE.exe), a message appears saying "This programm can't be run under this Windows version" (I have the German Win98SE on my computer, so this is not the exact message but the translation of the message). 1.01 and 1.0 did run perfectly on my PC!

A friend of mine has a computer with Windows XP Prof. as OS, and 1.02 runs perfectly on his PC, so it seems that 1.02 doesn't run under Windows 98!

Does anybody with Win98SE has similar problems with version 1.02 ??

BTW, the same message appears when trying to start the trial version of 1.02.
alex

Post by alex »

i checked the settings, they look like the same, also the header files.
it runs ok on WinNT 4.0 (so it is unlikely to be the pause button), but i currently don't have win98 installed.

what is the exact message in german?
Evans

Post by Evans »

alex wrote:i checked the settings, they look like the same, also the header files.
it runs ok on WinNT 4.0 (so it is unlikely to be the pause button), but i currently don't have win98 installed.

what is the exact message in german?
The exact message in German is:
"Dieses Programm kann aufgrund seines ungültigen Formates nicht unter Windows ausgeführt werden."
alex

Post by alex »

i'll email you a link in few minutes to both versions.

what is strange on google i found only one such message.
DNWHome3

Post by DNWHome3 »

I fired up Windows ME just to check this. The same copy of 1.02 that works in XP over windows file sharing, gives the error in ME. The active popup behind is titled "C:\Program Files\Usenet Explorer\UE.exe" and has the symbol red cirlcle with white X in it, and says "Windows cannot run this program because it is in an invalid format." Covering that is the first popup titled "Error Starting Program" with the symbol yellow triangle with black exclamation point in it, and says "The C:\PROGRAM FILES\USENET EXPLORER\UE.EXE file appears to be corrupt. Reinstall the file, and then try again." Version 1.01 starts up just fine.
alex

Post by alex »

as it is now estabilished, the problem is connected to the pause button dropdown menu (but actually any resource associated with any toolbar button) added in v1.02. when i add the dropdown menu resource the program cannot load in win98se and from your report winme, i remove it, the program can load, since there is no menu resource it shows the empty menu just fine. probably it is some limitation, strange i can run it in even older winnt 4.0 without any problems.

i'll try to install the system here and check it (maybe i'll manage to create and load the menu after the program start), it would be ridiculous to have separate versions because of the pause button menu.

but in any case it is something straightforward so i'll resolve it somehow, in the meantime you can run 1.01 on the win98/me systems. btw. i've never run it on win98 and interesting we get some problem only now (but i avoided using windows system support where possible so it is not suprising it was running there flawlessly).

right now i'm downloading winme, the win98 versions microsoft cd became unreadable a couple of years ago and i threw it away.
alex

Post by alex »

i've located the problem by comparing it with a working sample, it appears that the resource id for win98/me should be in a low range, i changed the number from 33xxx to 2xx and it started working, just the button before was only a command but now it is also a resource.

installing winme, winxp and winnt on the same computer with the drive letters in the right sequence is quite a challenge :)