suggestion for new feature

OliMuc

suggestion for new feature

Post by OliMuc »

Hi :-)

First of all: I love NewsPro... I extensively use the ability to autodownload attachments of one newsgroup as well as the function "Message ID Direct".

I realized, that often NewsPro downloads parts only from one Server (the one where i get all the headers from) ... Well, thats ok and works.

But if i manually go for the same postings go again to "Download&Save immadiately" it starts trying the "Message ID Direct Servers" which very often works fine. After a time NewsPro is again downloading only from the first Server. If i hit "Download&Save immadiately" now again nothing happens (I think NewsPro realized that id did it before). But If I hit now "Download&Save with Priority -> 16" it sarts again trying the "Message ID Direct Servers".

So my suggestion is:

It would be GREAT to have an option, that NewsPro tries the "Message ID Direct Servers" by itself (even for downloads that had already been started) every X Minutes (X could be adjustable). Because very often some of the Parts are at this servers, but Newspro didn't hit them at the first try.

And again: NewsPro is a GREAT Program ;-)

Thanks, Oli
Tha*Lunat!k

Post by Tha*Lunat!k »

NewsPro should work in the way you want it to. Define server priorities and set your Message-ID Direct servers at a higher priority, and Strict if you prefer. NewsPro downloads each message independantly, so as long as a server is accessible and operating and contains an article then NewsPro will use it to obtain that article after factoring in server priorities. If you have defined some sort of error that would cause your other servers to Suspend then you should check that out and possibly remove it, unless it is a download limit error message.

To sum it up: If an article is available on a higher priority server then it will always come from that server unless it is somehow disabled or it has reached its max tasks. If you enable 'Strict' then the article will always come from that higher priority server as long as it is enabled.
[img]http://graphics.thalunatik.com/sig6.png[/img]
OliMuc

Post by OliMuc »

Tha*Lunat!k wrote:To sum it up: If an article is available on a higher priority server then it will always come from that server unless it is somehow disabled or it has reached its max tasks. If you enable 'Strict' then the article will always come from that higher priority server as long as it is enabled.
Cool :-) It seems to work in exactly the manner as i want it :-)

Did i already state, that NewsPro is the best Program on Earth? :lol:

Oli
Tha*Lunat!k

Post by Tha*Lunat!k »

Indeed, NewsPro makes newsgroup usage of any kind easy, but at the same time is so powerful that anything you need to do can likely be done :)

I use it for text groups, binary groups, and posting files to newsgroups. I love when programs are all-in-one :)
OliMuc

Post by OliMuc »

hmm ... strange things are happening ... as I checked my NewsPro this morning some of the postings got the "?" sign, even if all the parts are on at least one server. Does this "?" sign mean, that NewsPro gave it up to download? In most cases only one or two parts have not been downloaded yet. And if I now go on "donwload imeadetely" they will be downloaded. So a function like the "try to restart downloads every 5 minutes" or like this wozld be very fine and would solve it in the best way i think :-)

Oli
alex

Post by alex »

there is the option properties->tasks (it may move to properties->general in the future), retry failed articles every x minutes, but better set it to 60-90 minutes at least, since usually the failure cause persists and if you set it to several minutes it will occupy task slots with relentless retrying.
OliMuc

Post by OliMuc »

alex wrote:there is the option properties->tasks (it may move to properties->general in the future), retry failed articles every x minutes, but better set it to 60-90 minutes at least, since usually the failure cause persists and if you set it to several minutes it will occupy task slots with relentless retrying.
WOW .. ok, i see ... the function is already there :-) ...

Thank you very much!

Oli
Tha*Lunat!k

Post by Tha*Lunat!k »

And if there is a question mark you can see the cause by checking the Error pane in the Task Manager. One or more of your servers could be giving problems.