Updating configuration & firewall

03 Oct 23: One server was relocated, the server currently doesn't have a public IP address since in the meantime it is running on starlink. I wrote some additional tunnel code running separately to handle this. When the server is engaged the connection is 5600+ days uniform (since around 24 July 2008). In the unlikely case I disengaged the server because of some problem the retention is 1200-3800 days depending on newsgroup. If you experience any issue please let me know.

29 Nov 23: Because of encrypted and obfuscated posts flood mass posted by a few nzb indexing websites using usenet servers as private storage for their members to download the posts - the situation with the content is pretty chaotic since their purpose is to post in such a way, so users must use their website exclusively, when the website disappears - the encrypted posts just eat usenet providers' hard disk space uselessly. If you can't find something specific please let me know at alexbirj at gmail dot com what exactly you can't find for me to check how it is possible to retain the posts. Non-obfuscated posts shouldn't be affected at all, let me know if you notice anything missing.

29 Nov 23: The search protocol had to be upgraded to extend 3 byte (16M+) limit on the server side for number of sets per instance, so at least the version 5.8.3 is needed to access it, otherwise should be no any difference.
Paul

Updating configuration & firewall

Post by Paul »

Hi Alex,

I have the following error when I try to use the search function:

Error updating search service configuration.
Please ensure that UE is not blocked by a firewall from
downloading the configuration from UE website.

I've tried to reset the search configuration in "General/Reset Configuration" but to no avail.
There is no firewall blocking UE; all outbound traffic is allowed.
I'm having this problem since at least the day before yesterday.
Running the latest version 1.9.9.7.
Internet connectivity is fine on the computer running UE.

Hope you can help me out.

Regards,
Paul
Paul

Post by Paul »

Solved it. Had MS ISA Server 2006 running but in a non functional mode. Once i actually stopped the services the search service update started to work again. Still not sure why ISA server got between UE and the website since every other internet function works on the computer, but the culprit is ISA and had nothing to do with UE.

A bit too soon maybe, but all the best wishes for 2008!

Regards,

Paul
mariela06

Search Server Error

Post by mariela06 »

I am getting the same error when I try to search. I don't have the firewall on when I attempt this and I have also added the UE program to be allowed to connect to the internet.

Thanks
alex

Post by alex »

it means UE cannot download a small text file from the ue website.

but you can open the webpage in browser if you can post on this forum.

in principle you can copy the ue database "settings" directory where UE is allowed to connect to ue website, then start the program, make a single search, then copy it back (actually all what you need is reg.dat).

i can add "load configuration from file" option, until now letting UE to connect to download the file wasn't a problem, also when you make a search UE needs to go to the search service server so it should be allowed to connect anyway.

does it give any socket error code?

if you want you can try to set a local proxy in properties->proxy if you have access to a working proxy somewhere or pm me your current ip address and i'll give you access to a proxy temporarily which is around the same area where search service is so if you can access search service you should be able to update configuration as well. when you update configuration and local proxy is set it tries with and without it whichever succeeds.
mariela06

It worked

Post by mariela06 »

I pressed the reset search engine in properties and tried again, it worked, so I don't have more problems with it for now. It just started happening without me having changed anything.

I think the Load Configuration button is a great idea, right next to the reset.

Thanks
alex

Post by alex »

no it cannot be because of the reset configuration button, if the program goes to the website to update configuration it doesn't depend on the current configuration status, since the moment it knows configuration changed there is only one scenario.

through the reset button you can only force the program to download the same configuration again.

if something huge will be screwed like search service url has been stolen by third party only then the button could be used, but then i would rather issue an emergency update than waiting until users will engage this option.