mishaps?

bassie

mishaps?

Post by bassie »

Now i am posting.

And is see "mishaps" appearing. They decrease in number when i press "retry". And after waiting longer time they are gone.

What are those errors, and how to prevent them?

do they occur because i put the files on an external disc and then post them?
(or because i pressed the pause button during 45 minutes? During pause there is still some data transport, but far too little maybe. It certainly looks like this. If that is the case, would it be better to really stop every upload while putting it in a pause?)

p.s.: would it be something to have a separate part where discussions about ue postings are?
bassie

Post by bassie »

would it be something that if mishaps occur, the poster would automatically retry it?
alex

Post by alex »

just wait until the post is complete then the post will migrate into the error pane by not invoking retry, i'm not sure it shows the error message in the error column until retries are exhausted.
bassie

Post by bassie »

i will see what happens. i am posting a dvd now.

So should i not push retry button?

Or should i push the retry button?

By the way, errors are: "read errors" what does that mean?
alex

Post by alex »

it means disk file read operation failed, since it works on retry it is not clear what is the reason.

i've sent you a link through pm to check it out further what it might be.
bassie

Post by bassie »

now i see it is better to push retry button during posting. I did not do that during this post. I see that some files are incomplete.

This i tested with the search service of UE and by www.binsearch.info.

In the post program, I don't see the errors anymore.

(edit: now i see you gave me a pm) I could also try if it differs when posting from an external disc (what i normally do) or if i post it from the computer hard disc (so not externally).
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

bassie wrote:...when posting from an external disc (what i normally do)...
Your external could be powering down occasionally, causing a break in the posting process. Unless you're sitting there and able to hear it (assuming the external isn't really quiet), you wouldn't really know. It shouldn't do this but you may have your USB ports set to be allowed to sleep in your power management.

Are you running Vista?
bassie

Post by bassie »

Josef,

I am running windows xp. You could be right about that powering down of the external disc.

Now i am testing something from Alex and see if that works ok. Will take some days maybe, because i test with posting with a big dvd.
Certainly i will also test posting directly from a hard disc or so, and not from an external disc.

To be continued.....
alex

Post by alex »

we've checked it out, it is something which is caused by the server (socket error) during the posting process.

the only glitch which i've found if retries exhausted so mishap becomes an error and the socket error happened during posting article body (after successfully negotiating the post command and posting article headers) - UE would report the error as "read file" error instead of the socket error, because of too generic exception handler, which i need to adjust, but in any case one needs to press "retry" to repost the failed parts (or to increase the number of retries for the server).

most likely the error is the server suddenly closing the connection while UE is posting, but since UE can remember the state exactly it won't be a problem to complete the post after automatic retries exhausted (you can even to change the post server after the unfinished post landed in the error pane).