What's inside the Bodies directory? Can I purge the files?

olav

What's inside the Bodies directory? Can I purge the files?

Post by olav »

I had a crash in UE. The reason is inside the database. Nothing has been lost as there was nothing there to lose, but when i peeked inside the database, I found 20GB of files in the Bodies directory structure.

I have frequently performed Advanced > Purge deleted headers, so I was surprised to find all these files because they should not be attached to any headers.

Is there a special procedure to wipe them without upsetting the database? Or can I just delete them? I have 32516 files in there, most of them 646MB in size.

Is there a setting somewhere to autodelete these files?

regards
Olav
They ain't making bugs like Bunny anymore
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

646MB is an odd size. UE will download all segments of an article until they are all present and then combine them, meaning you will have files of the same size as each segment. Unless you mean 646Kb in which case that would sound about right.

What you can do is close UE, make a copy of the database (literally just copy the entire database directory through Explorer) to a safe place. Then open UE and work on the original database to delete as you feel necessary. Make sure first in UE that there aren't any remaining bodies listed. Check the Downloads tab and also open your groups and uncheck everything on the Quick Filter bar except 'Body' and see if anything is still there.

If you then find something is not quite right, restore the backup copy.