Migrating UE to new computer

Hubert

Migrating UE to new computer

Post by Hubert »

I recently got a new pc and I would like to know what is the best way to set up UE just like I have it on my old pc. Are there any shortcuts or do I have to set it up manually? In the latter case I'll have to dig out all serials and passwords etc. :roll:
Regards, Hubert
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

Copy your entire UE directory to the new computer, start UE and you will be presented with a 'Browse for database folder' dialogue. Select your DB directory and at some point I imagine UE will ask you to input your serial. Other than that, you'll probably have to set up your default save directories. It's possible that if you recreate the same directory structures (on the same drive letter) that you had on your old computer, UE will retain the information and reuse it (although that's guesswork).

UE save its configuration in reg.dat but if the directories are different, they will need setting again. You should be up and running again very quickly. I've done this myself a few times and because I don't really remember anything mind blowingly difficult or any problems then I can tell you it's very straightforward.

Make a backup of your Database\Settings directory Just In Case (tm). :)
Hubert

Post by Hubert »

Thank you Josef K: I'm going to try it this way. I already suspected that it might be not too difficult. I maintain the same directory structure on my new system.
Regards, Hubert
Hubert

Post by Hubert »

Just did that: no servers nor groups show up. Is that still manual labor?
Regards, Hubert
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

I've just run a test of the same procedure in VMWare (clean XP Pro snapshot) and it worked as I expected: all groups and servers are present. I copied over everything minus the Bodies directory, which UE just recreated itself.

Did you make sure to copy your UE directory and everything inside it? Was your database directory originally somewhere outside of the UE executable directory? If you can, compare the directories and make sure that the structure is the same, i.e. same layout with all files/subdirectories in the same locations beneath the main UE directory.

Edit: UE didn't ask for a serial number at any point. I assume it will again if I extract a new version.
Hubert

Post by Hubert »

I see now what I did wrong: I forgot to set the correct path for the database. It runs now like a train! Thanks again.
Regards, Hubert
MilesAhead

different drive letter

Post by MilesAhead »

Unfortunately I have to use a different drive letter. Am I hosed? :)
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

Not at all. Copy the entire UE directory/subdirectories/database directory to the destination, recreate a shortcut to UE.exe, start UE and point it to the correct location of the database. As ever, make a separate backup of your Settings directory in case of something unforeseen.

It'll take a bit more manual work to input all the save paths (if they're to a different drive letter) but that will be about it. On the plus side, see it as a bit of housekeeping: you can use this opportunity to tidy up your save paths a bit or categorise them more efficiently.
MilesAhead

so far so good

Post by MilesAhead »

So far so good. Unless I'm blissfully ignorant.. it looks like all I have
to do is change the drive letter when it asks me where to save stuff.
The subfolders seem to have been updated on the latest download so
hopefully all is cool.

Much easier to move than a lot of newsreaders I've used. :)
Man I dread that business of selecting newsgroups yet again.
So glad I didn't have to do it!! :)
Hubert

Post by Hubert »

Likewise here! I have been in business ever since my last post...
Regards, Hubert
MilesAhead

very cool

Post by MilesAhead »

Very cool!! Another bonus.. I'm using Giganews Accelerator and I didn't have to do the setup, then change the server settings bit. I just installed GNA and copied the folders over and everything worked!!!

Hmmmm, maybe we should stick a couple of frowns in here so the price doesn't go up? :) Oops! I mean .. :( :( :(
dl marshall

Post by dl marshall »

I multi-boot between XP Pro 32-bit and Vista Ultimate 64-bit.
Already had UE installed on Vista.
Installed it on XP, and rebooted into Vista.
Backed up (copied) the Vista "Database" folder to a partition visible to both OSes.
Rebooted into XP, and copied the Vista "Database" folder to its new location. Fired up UE and, in the pop-up, clicked on the folder named "Database".
The database was read by UE, and everything was configured. And I did a search and downloaded a small 1MB file from the results.
3 minutes including re-booting.

This has got to be the baddest newsreader on the planet.

Robert
marshall, aka marshal, ranger.
Assists in controlling and policing the downloaders. Ensures that the downloaders are adhering to the download rules, and encourages a reasonable pace of downloading. Authorised to eject slow downloaders from the net.
alex

Post by alex »

why not to use the same database from both systems, since you cannot run both systems in the same time.

if you keep it on a folder accessible from both systems you can just launch UE on the same database from either system (point from both systems to the same database in properties->general, database folder, change) and there will be no need to download headers in both or remember what was downloaded where.
dl marshall

Post by dl marshall »

Yes, ofcourse.
And it works. Why didn't I think of that right away ?

Thanks Alex.

When you've written the best news reader on the planet, offering it at a bargain price, and giving good advice, you gotta be bad!
marshall, aka marshal, ranger.
Assists in controlling and policing the downloaders. Ensures that the downloaders are adhering to the download rules, and encourages a reasonable pace of downloading. Authorised to eject slow downloaders from the net.
MilesAhead

thrashing

Post by MilesAhead »

alex wrote:why not to use the same database from both systems, since you cannot run both systems in the same time.

if you keep it on a folder accessible from both systems you can just launch UE on the same database from either system (point from both systems to the same database in properties->general, database folder, change) and there will be no need to download headers in both or remember what was downloaded where.
It's cool that it's an option but one side effect could be thrashing. For instance on my HD I have a large Vista partition and a fairly small XP partition so the travel on the disc arm during access could be excessive.
I guess I could put the database on my external USB drive... but that
would be cheating. :)