A feature I'd really like to see...

Agrippa

A feature I'd really like to see...

Post by Agrippa »

First of all, pardon me if this has been addressed earlier, or if I've overlooked something which actually makes it possible already. I'm far from being a NewsPro power user - I use it a lot, but not, I'm afraid, in a very sophisticated way. :D

Anyway, what bugs me slightly is the fact that if I choose every group and hit "Get New Headers" (I don't though, as it easily disables the machine completely of course), there is no way to specify, for instance, that the program should go through the groups one, by one, two by two, or whatever. Ideally I'd like to have an option to control NewsPro's behaviour when updating several groups, so that the system resource use is kept at a level I can live with.

As it is, I have to (well, I think I have to - I may be wrong) selectively choose two or three goups to update at a time, so that NewsPro doesn't hog all the RAM and every single CPU cycle.

Agrippa
blackdog56

Post by blackdog56 »

I normally just limit the number of header tasks to take care of this. Normally, I have it at 8, but lower it even more if doing something like online gaming.
Tha*Lunat!k

Post by Tha*Lunat!k »

You could try using Properties > Tasks and set an overload limit to prevent more headers from coming in than your system is able to process.
[img]http://graphics.thalunatik.com/sig6.png[/img]

Post by Guest »

Thanks folks, I'll try out those suggestions. I'd STILL love an option like "Update All Groups" though, where NP starts at the top of the list and works its way through them all, updating a user-defined number of groups at a time until finished.

Even better if this could be done automatically at user-defined intervals or at a given time - I could then go on holiday and return to find all my groups updated. :D

What do you say Alex? Any chance of this happening?
Tha*Lunat!k

Post by Tha*Lunat!k »

Well, there is automatic get headers, where you set it to get new headers at a defined interval. If you were going to be away for a day you could set it to get new headers every hour or so. Just turn each group On that you want to have this work for. If you're away you won't notice the machine slowdown and when you return you'll have new headers.

Just make sure your machine won't be crashing while you're away :)
Tipperton

Post by Tipperton »

Tha*Lunat!k wrote:Just make sure your machine won't be crashing while you're away :)
Hmm... Sounds like something you tell M$... :?
:cool: [b]Tipperton Thistledown[/b]
[i]Seek the aid of those not men to quench the fires of war,
Else Evil triumphant will ascend and rule fore ever more.[/i]
Tha*Lunat!k

Post by Tha*Lunat!k »

I use WindowsXP. I leave it on for weeks at a time and haven't had any crashes in the past several months :)