UE crashes if unrar process runs out of space [just exits?]

dengle

UE crashes if unrar process runs out of space [just exits?]

Post by dengle »

I've found that if the Unrar process runs out of space, UE simply stops. I don't see any debug log files and don't get any indication that it caught the exception. (no dr watson or other system logging either).

I've been really tight on space lately so have confirmed it is a recreatable issue.
Ustinov

Post by Ustinov »

I've seen the same thing here. Newspro exits at unrar when it runs out of space. Still enough room on the drive with the database.
One Tera byte just doesn't cut it these days :wink:
alex

Post by alex »

unrar is third party code.

i'm using static linking of the code whcih is published on winrar site, it is the only option. i did find several bugs in the code (like exception is thrown from destructor which bypass any process exception handler and exits the process).

if you can tell how to reproduce it i could check it out and fix it.

do you mean when not enough space on the drive where the files are unrared?
dengle

Post by dengle »

correct. For example, the contents of a rar archive is 4gb in size and you only have 1gb free. When the unrar process uses up the space, it forces UE to hard-crash/exit. no dr watson or other error handling.
alex

Post by alex »

i cannot reproduce it right away.

on both single and part rar files i get "write file error".

i tried both with some free space, little free space and more free space so several parts will be processed, the result was the same.

maybe i need access to a concrete sample when it happens.

i'll check with larger downloads later, those were well <4GB, do you see the same problem with smaller rars than 4GB?
Ustinov

Post by Ustinov »

alex wrote:i cannot reproduce it right away.

on both single and part rar files i get "write file error".

i tried both with some free space, little free space and more free space so several parts will be processed, the result was the same.

maybe i need access to a concrete sample when it happens.

i'll check with larger downloads later, those were well <4GB, do you see the same problem with smaller rars than 4GB?
I had trouble reproducing it also. I got the "write file error" once, and the only time I did get UE to exit was when I saved to the same drive the database was on. I have 'suspend tasks when <63MB or database does not fit in memory' checked, but this should not cause UE to exit/crash, right?
alex

Post by alex »

Ustinov wrote:I had trouble reproducing it also. I got the "write file error" once, and the only time I did get UE to exit was when I saved to the same drive the database was on. I have 'suspend tasks when <63MB or database does not fit in memory' checked, but this should not cause UE to exit/crash, right?
you need to check log.txt in the UE database, unrar allocates space at once so UE may throw exception instead of initiating normal shutdown, since the free space drops suddenly (exception means the same shutdown with saving but happening immediately), and with exceptions the error dialog sometimes may not be shown even when UE tries to, but it usually writes something into log.txt.

i'll check with dengle more closely how to reproduce that, i had to work on relatively sofisticated power backup solution because of annoying power outages here and got a bit off the rails.
alex

Post by alex »

ok i clarified with dengle the situation he refers to when unrar happens to the db drive as well, thanks to Ustinov for making the distinction regarding the same drive.

so finally i reproduced it here.

but what really happens - UE just exits normally but without warning since there is no time for warnings, it just saves data and exits. i'll check the code later what exactly happens but it appears the behaviour is by design.

the same happens if you try to copy files into the database drive until space will become very low, at the "properties->general->suspend tasks when" treshold it will give a warning, but futher down at a very low space it will just exit. i'll check if i can add additional warning somewhere after saving data and before exiting the process, but windows itself constantly gives low space warnings with naming the drive, so the behaviour is not too misleading.

in log.txt i see:

--Login-- (v2.2.1)
--Logout--

UE taskbar icon disappears as well, if crash it would stay there.

so it appears in there no new bugs found in the third party unrar code in the meantime, there were quite a few, but now all appears to be patched ok.
alex

Post by alex »

i've added message box with options to free space and restart or exit for the next version so the condition will be explicit.