Newsgroup list updated again

03 Oct 23: One server was relocated, the server currently doesn't have a public IP address since in the meantime it is running on starlink. I wrote some additional tunnel code running separately to handle this. When the server is engaged the connection is 5600+ days uniform (since around 24 July 2008). In the unlikely case I disengaged the server because of some problem the retention is 1200-3800 days depending on newsgroup. If you experience any issue please let me know.

29 Nov 23: Because of encrypted and obfuscated posts flood mass posted by a few nzb indexing websites using usenet servers as private storage for their members to download the posts - the situation with the content is pretty chaotic since their purpose is to post in such a way, so users must use their website exclusively, when the website disappears - the encrypted posts just eat usenet providers' hard disk space uselessly. If you can't find something specific please let me know at alexbirj at gmail dot com what exactly you can't find for me to check how it is possible to retain the posts. Non-obfuscated posts shouldn't be affected at all, let me know if you notice anything missing.

29 Nov 23: The search protocol had to be upgraded to extend 3 byte (16M+) limit on the server side for number of sets per instance, so at least the version 5.8.3 is needed to access it, otherwise should be no any difference.
Post Reply
alex
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 pm

Newsgroup list updated again

Post by alex »

I've updated newsgroup list. It appears the newsgroup list remains almost unchanged, so I will just update the list at periods less than header feed server retention, so all headers in new newsgroups will be included, unless someone will point to a missing new newsgroup, then I can do an immediate bulk update, it is fast anyway.
intravenus
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:27 am

Post by intravenus »

alt.binaries.movies.bones can this group be added ? I can download files via Giganews but not Astraweb.

cheers
dracula
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:50 am
Location: the Netherlands

Post by dracula »

intravenus wrote:alt.binaries.movies.bones can this group be added ? I can download files via Giganews but not Astraweb.

cheers
You must ask on Astraweb to add the newsgroup.
alex
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 pm

Post by alex »

i can bulk update newsgroup list again.

as to this particular newsgroup - i see it is on highwinds but not on astraweb, it has 14 movie posts all at all in the last 4 days and one text post 63 days ago (maybe it was created back then).

astraweb you can ask them to add it.

i'll try to make the bulk update within few days, it is safer than to add one by one.
intravenus
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:27 am

Post by intravenus »

alt.binaries.movies.bones....has this been added to the search yet ? TIA
alex
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 pm

Post by alex »

the update will be a bit later, there were some deep changes in the client code towards the next release which kept me busy, i want to recompile the server, check it is still ok, then to update the list, i'm not sure about this particular group, i just download the whole newsgroup list and refresh the newsgroup list on all server instances. the work on the client is almost finished, so it won't take long, at worst within one week.
alex
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 pm

Post by alex »

ok, i've updated the server executable, looks ok, i'll update newsgroup list a bit later, it may involve some downtime to preserve complete headers in added groups.
intravenus
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:27 am

Post by intravenus »

ok thanks for the update
alex
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 pm

Post by alex »

done
intravenus
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:27 am

Post by intravenus »

alt.binaries.teevee can this group be added ?

TIA
alex
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 pm

Post by alex »

ok i've added it now, but take into account from now on i'll update the newsgroup list on monthly basis just before database backup, it is somewhat safer to ensure databases are in sync and right groups go into right places. if it is urgent, though, i can add one by one as well.
intravenus
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:27 am

Post by intravenus »

ok...thanks for that
intravenus
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:27 am

Post by intravenus »

alt.binaries.movies.bones Not able to search this group now...was fine 20 minutes ago or so. Looks like it's been omitted in the last update/restart
alex
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 pm

Post by alex »

yes router fell, so i restarted it in the backup configuration, but not completely right.

router is now on, i'll restart it in the full mode.
intravenus
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:27 am

Post by intravenus »

working now..thanks :)