Some Strange Stuff Started Happening

jmbailey2000

Some Strange Stuff Started Happening

Post by jmbailey2000 »

Got a couple of really weird things happening and not sure what might be causing it.

First, several weeks ago (can't remember when), when I run UE, I see the little notification window that displays the info about "loading...", etc. However, after a few seconds, the window disappears and instead of the main UE window being displayed, nothing happens. UE doesn't run. If I execute UE a second time, UE pops right up. I've checked and UE isn't running in task manager after it fails to load, so I can't figure out what is happening.

Second, I've started having issues with downloading article bodies. I can grab headers no problem. I can download portions of some bodies and then several days later I try and download the remianing bodies and all of a sudden I get errors that say "No Such Article in Group" or "No Such Article". I'm using Easynews and never had any of these type problems before. Easynews did have a problem a couple of weeks ago, so I wrote it off to that, but it has started happening again in the last 2 or 3 days and it isn't consistent. In addition, stuff that I've grabbed from October and have tried to grab again also gives errors. Is it possible I have corrupted indexes or something? I ran the diagnostics and everything checks out fine. Maybe the article numbers have changed on Easynews. Is there a way to set the header number to 0 or to grab ALL headers that exist in a newsgroup? I haven't been able to figure that out yet.

Third, (this appears to be an Easynews issue), I can do a "search" through UE for something and UE usually finds a result. However, when I try and download the article bodies, UE gives a "No Such Article" error. However, if I go to Easynews and use the web interface, I can grab all the articles no problem. Any ideas?

FYI....I'm running the latest build. I usually update when UE notifies me of an update so I can keep it current.

Thanks!
dengle

Post by dengle »

rename your database directory and try from scratch. perhaps some odd setting is messing with it.
alex

Post by alex »

if UE doesn't start - check log.txt (email it to me) and check hard disk for errors including bad sectors, from crash statistics it is always induced exception, not a program fault, if there is something in log.txt probably you see E06D7363 and even the exception error message on the top.

as to no such articles and easynews.

no such article means they don't have enough retention or they messed something.

as i heard easynews, UNS, newshosting, ngroups is the same company (ngroups is reseller), but server farms may be different and they were upgrading something lately, you need to try to resolve it with their support.