Antivirus / Firewall

jimzak

Antivirus / Firewall

Post by jimzak »

Today I reinstalled EVERYTHING including my OS due to crashes that were occurring with UE.

I have not gotten any UE crashes with the new setup.

I have not reinstalled an antivirus or firewall package yet. I also have NOT reinstalled SP3 for XP.

I would like to know what other UE users would recommend that do not cause problems with UE.

Previously I was using Comodo, AVG, and/or Antivir.

Also, should I reinstall SP3 for XP?

Thanks and Happy New Year.

Jim
Austin TX
alex

Post by alex »

SP3 shouldn't be a problem at all.

as to third party antiviruses i see sometimes crashes with few of them inside driver, the most notorious is NOD32, also sometimes a driver may corrupt the UE process heap, then crash happens within ntdll.dll

generally i cannot tell which one is better and which is not, if i see reported crashes within firewall/antivirus driver - nothing can be done about them since it is third party software running within UE process, so i just discard those crashes.

e.g. kaspersky had problems in the past with several builds, fixing them afterwards sometimes not fast enough, but for a year or so i didn't hear complaints about it, i think Josef K is using kaspersky.
jonib

Post by jonib »

I use the free version of Avira antivir without problems with UE, I have excluded UEs database directory from scanning, this is on Windows XP sp2.

jonib
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

alex wrote:e.g. kaspersky had problems in the past with several builds, fixing them afterwards sometimes not fast enough, but for a year or so i didn't hear complaints about it, i think Josef K is using kaspersky.
Kaspersky has not been a problem in over a year of using it. There is a tweak to be made which can iron out issues (network scanner) if needed but the overall AV software itself is rock solid for me.
jimzak

thanks

Post by jimzak »

I installed SP3 without a hitch and no problems with UE.

I installed Avira for a little protection.

I will continue to use the Windows firewall unless someone has a strong recommendation.

Thanks.
MrEman

Post by MrEman »

I have used Zone Alarm Pro and am now using Kaspersky Internet Suite

Both have been trouble free
jmbailey2000

Post by jmbailey2000 »

Never had problems Norton Antivirus (other then it is a huge sloth on memory and resources) and now use NOD32 (for 9+ months) with no issues at all.