Compressed headers for Giganews (proprietary, copyrighted?)

MikusR

Compressed headers for Giganews (proprietary, copyrighted?)

Post by MikusR »

Seems that Giganews now has support for header compression without ssl. But UE doesn't understand it.
alex

Post by alex »

first their compression commands are proprietary (not published anywhere, trademark, copyrighted etc.) and secondly i don't have access to their server.

if you are their customer contact them, if i get command description with explicit permission to add it plus access to their server - no problem to add it, with standard xzver which they disabled on their server (see related thread in the support section), contrary to giganews accelerator - xzver is open standard and anyone supports it nowadays, as to speed it is fast enough as well.

my contact with their support was limited, over the years i was only receiving proposals to become their affiliate for 50% one time and 10% recurrent comission for each recruited user, technical questions they don't reply in my past experience (unlike others), i got once reply they only would communicate with their current and prospective affiliates and the customers and i felt uneasy to force myself into such an arrangement.

with almost all other usenet providers, in contrast, it was mostly revolving around technical issues and as a rule those were willing to cooperate without bringing in marketing interests as the necessary condition.

in short if i get technical details and users ask for it - no problem to add, it cannot be something much different than a variant of xzver, therefore easy to add, if you see specs somewhere on their site - just give me the link (but i would also need access to their server then).

if you want to use a different less secretive provider with the same service package, but with standard xzver or zlib SSL header compression enabled and price 3 times cheaper - pm me for leads.
alex

Post by alex »

i've got description of their compression.

it is the same as xzver feature, the difference is - instead of a separate get headers command the connection is "marked" as compressed through a special command and then all xover commands (to get headers) get the same reply as xzver, the only difference in xzver the final dot goes in the compressed stream and in giganews case it goes as clear text.

then it is nothing magical as to performance, i'm thinking to add it or not (it would result in one additional command per connection which is used for a header task), maybe, so they only disabled xzver because it is not compatible with their accelerator, it performs the same as xzver.