Handling high volume groups on 32 bit system

jimzak

Handling high volume groups on 32 bit system

Post by jimzak »

Over the last 24 hours, version 2.5.1 has resulted in problems for me.

I have 3 newsgroup providers.

I have about 10 newsgroups in the list.

I have headers dating back 240 days in the groups.

I have been repeatedly getting "Out of memory" from Usenet Explorer. The program then closes. Its an endless loop: open the program, out of error message, program closes.

I even reverted to an old copy of my UEBase because I thought it might be corrupted but I get the same error.

I disabled most of my startup programs.

System:

Windows XP SP3 32-bit
4 GB RAM
AMD 9950 quad processor
Nvidia 9800 GT video card

Thanks.
jonib

Re: Out of memory error

Post by jonib »

jimzak wrote:I have been repeatedly getting "Out of memory" from Usenet Explorer.
Try Unchecking this setting Menu->Edit->Properties->General->Limit swapping->Lock DB pages in memory.

jonib
jimzak

Post by jimzak »

Is there any way to change this setting with the endless loop that I described above?
jonib

Post by jonib »

jimzak wrote:Is there any way to change this setting with the endless loop that I described above?
I'm guessing UE is using all of the 2GB that 32bit Windows gives programs, you could try the /3G setting to give UE 3GB that is described here as UE can use the extra memory, this might get you in to at least change some settings.

I can't think of another way except to run a 64bit windows.

jonib

Edit: changed the URL.
jimzak

Post by jimzak »

jonib wrote: I'm guessing UE is using all of the 2GB that 32bit Windows gives programs, you could try the /3G setting to give UE 3GB that is described here as UE can use the extra memory, this might get you in to at least change some settings.
I'm not a developer.

Is there an easier description somewhere of how to accomplish the above?
jonib

Post by jonib »

jimzak wrote:Is there an easier description somewhere of how to accomplish the above?
Basically you need to edit c:\Boot.ini which is a textfile that controls how Windows XP Boots.

You need to add /3GB to the end of the line that specifies which partition Windows is on.

So this is my boot.ini

Code: Select all

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINXP
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINXP="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer
This is where I would but it

Code: Select all

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINXP="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINXP="Microsoft Windows XP Professional /3GB" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer /3GB
I made a copy of the last line and added the /3GB and changed the description.
The boot.ini is specific to you computer.

Just a warning if this file is not correct windows won't boot up.

This is kinda overkill to fix this problem but I can't think of another way, you don't have access to a 64bit Windows? to temporary move the UE db to fix this problem.

jonib
jimzak

Post by jimzak »

You have been very helpful.

While waiting for your reply, I changed the UEBase to a blank folder. I then added my servers and newsgroups back but only with 150 days of retention.

So far I have not had the out of memory error.

If it recurs, then I will try your suggestion or get 64-bit Windows.

Thanks so much.
jonib

Post by jonib »

jimzak wrote:While waiting for your reply, I changed the UEBase to a blank folder. I then added my servers and newsgroups back but only with 150 days of retention.
Sure, if you want to take the easy way out. :twisted:

If you want the settings from the old UE database you could copy settings directory from the old Db to the New.

jonib
alex

Post by alex »

if those are all large binary newsgroups with 240 day retention even 4GB may not suffice to keep all those headers loaded, if you would try to open all the newsgroups at once.

if you run 32bit system without /3GB switch the actual memory per process is only 1.4GB, with the switch I think it is around 2.4GB which gives 70% more, so probably it would run OK with your old database. with 64 bit system it is 4GB per 32 bit process.

most likely you set auto get headers, the newsgroups wouldn't be loaded otherwise, then to access the old database - on start try to cancel getting headers right away. then try to reduce edit menu->properties->tasks->max.groups, then when on automation - fewer newsgroups will be loaded in the same time, thus consuming less RAM. also you can always save / reuse the settings directory, just reset header ranges in the work space if you start from scratch.

what value did you have for "max.groups"? if you cannot cancel getting headers - before start you may prevent UE from accessing the internet or if it doesn't help - rename "newsgroups" directory into e.g. "newsgroups2" in the old database. also ensure prevent header overload in properties->tasks is checked, e.g. if you used giganews server directly - v2.5.1 supports their compressed headers and with the option unchecked and fast enough connection - headers will arrive faster than they can be processed filling RAM instead.

smaller retention is also a way to reduce memory consumption.

but if you lean towards keeping large newsgroups with higher retention - try to increase RAM allowance per process (/3GB switch or install 64 bit system).