Narrow Search Results by "Collection" size.

03 Oct 23: One server was relocated, the server currently doesn't have a public IP address since in the meantime it is running on starlink. I wrote some additional tunnel code running separately to handle this. When the server is engaged the connection is 5600+ days uniform (since around 24 July 2008). In the unlikely case I disengaged the server because of some problem the retention is 1200-3800 days depending on newsgroup. If you experience any issue please let me know.

29 Nov 23: Because of encrypted and obfuscated posts flood mass posted by a few nzb indexing websites using usenet servers as private storage for their members to download the posts - the situation with the content is pretty chaotic since their purpose is to post in such a way, so users must use their website exclusively, when the website disappears - the encrypted posts just eat usenet providers' hard disk space uselessly. If you can't find something specific please let me know at alexbirj at gmail dot com what exactly you can't find for me to check how it is possible to retain the posts. Non-obfuscated posts shouldn't be affected at all, let me know if you notice anything missing.

29 Nov 23: The search protocol had to be upgraded to extend 3 byte (16M+) limit on the server side for number of sets per instance, so at least the version 5.8.3 is needed to access it, otherwise should be no any difference.
Neillithan

Narrow Search Results by "Collection" size.

Post by Neillithan »

Hi, If I do a search for something, I usually enable the "auto collections" to group headers together so that I can look at the the total size of the "auto collection" in the size column of the search results.

I can filter the results by typing in the "Size (KB)" field, but then that almost certainly fails me. The problem is, the "Size: (KB)" only affects headers, not auto collections.

If I want to exclude auto collections ranging in size from 9+ GB and less than 4GB (So that ***only*** auto collections ranging in size from ~4-8GB are visible), how would I go about doing that? Would I be able to use a search pattern to do it?

Thanks,
-Neil
Neillithan

Post by Neillithan »

hello?
NoNo

Post by NoNo »

Thou it might be different in the 64bits ue version but I believe you can't.

I think the max single value for "Size (KB)" is 2^22=4194304 but the max value that can be used is (2^22)-1
You'll get even less possible values using a range like "x-y"

Basically you can fairly put a ">4000000" to get collection size greater than 4GB in 10^3 term or 3.81...GB in 2^x term.
Or you can simply put ">4194303" as this is the best and last usable number for your case.

Thou you might wanna discuss that in the "Development" section :P
alex

Post by alex »

missed the post.

this part of the code is older from before collections and it is also connected to filters.

it stores this particular field in bytes for filters, but as to the string in the quick filter bar i think it just stores the string, so the current limit is 4GB, as the last reply suggest you can make it >4GB. sort from other side works with any size.

i could try to store size in KBs then the limit would be around 4096GB, would affect permanent filters where size or lines are used, instead of KB values would become MB, say if it was 1KB you would see 1024 but then manual adjustment back to 1 would do.

from other side for practical purposes 4GB seems to be ok as well.

it is not search specific.