Crash to Desktop

Dareshiranu

Crash to Desktop

Post by Dareshiranu »

I've tried 3.9 and now 3.91. alt.binaries.hdtv.h264 Retention set to Natural Headers per Server set to all.

Previous to upgrading to the "improved" UE I had access to all the headers of the newsgroup all the time, now, once it converted it the group was limited to some minuscule default. When I set it to what I believed would allow it to acquire all the headers the package CTD somewhere in the midst of getting headers, I've seen it get maybe 60% of the way before it failed. I tried deleting the data and starting fresh, believing that some unrecoverable corruption had occurred, but no. Starting fresh in that manner had no better luck.

The change from 3.9 to 3.91 was no better. Win 7 64-bit 24BG Ram Dual Xeon Processors and until I upgraded your software has been running smooth as glass.

I was looking for improvements, not... this, especially as you tout larger compact binary management as a feature. Your software is one of the things I've been able to rely on for years, don't let me down now.
alex

Re: Crash to Desktop

Post by alex »

(RC) means Release Candidate.

Major improvements mean major changes in the code.

Technically the framework is very sound, but maybe input may exist which slips through safeguards.

There are supposed to be fewer entries because of sets.

Just describe problems clearly and it will help.
Dareshiranu

Post by Dareshiranu »

OK, I'll try to explain, perhaps as well as "sets" are explained (apparently a check-box in preferences is enough to allow everyone to completely comprehend their utility.).

alt.binaries.hdtv.x264 on astraweb is just about the largest group I connect to. Astraweb, as you may or may not be aware, has a retention on the order of four years.

The group in question which is CTDing UE has 2186938014 headers. What I experienced when I upgraded, and I upgraded because I tired of constant nag-screens telling me about upgrades, was a truncation of any group I opened. I had always kept all the headers for any group I used, all the ones from the server anyway and I found this truncation sub-optimal. So I experimented, discovered the way to get all the headers back with an old large group, though admittedly not in the league of abhx264 all was good. Then I opened and re-scanned headers on the group in question. CTD. I tried it several times with the same result, you put out two new updates with no changes to this issue. I erased the files in the database and started fresh, hoping a clean slate would help. I don't get attached to old things. What I discovered is that your contention that the database was stable in the event of a crash seemed to be true as the headers being grabbed, for the brief time I was allowed to see them, were larger each time I started an open an get new headers after the last CTD.

What I would like, what I am hoping for, is a little of the stability of the old UE. I'm not really certain what it was lacking, except perhaps patience in its user base. Now I could load the database file that has managed to compile so far, but my gut tells me that the instability is a function of the size of the group I'm accessing and not anything else, since the new software has performed adequately on what could be considered more "normal" groups.
alex

Post by alex »

fixed in v3.9.3