Any tips or way to filter to just get the first line of file

joesloppy

Any tips or way to filter to just get the first line of file

Post by joesloppy »

Many post names now are scrambled letters / numbers. I find myself just downloading the first line of each file to preview whats inside. I click "show parts" and then expand the post to see the individual lines, then I download line 1 of 66 or whatever it is. Its enough usually to allow me to open in winrar and see what is contained inside.
Some post don't even have the file extensions listed, just random numbers, so you are in the dark (unless you join some forum) on what is being posted.
I would like to select 100 or so post and then just download the first line, not the full file or post. I made an autoit script that does this, but not very effectively.
I don't see a way to apply filters to just lines of a file, maybe there is a way? But it would be very neat to just click something and only download line 1 of 66, on lots of files so that I can check the contents without downloading a couple gig of rar files. I realize that sometimes the par file will give the name away, but now I see post where the scrambled name is in the par file. Thank you for any tips.
alex

Re: Any tips or way to filter to just get the first line of

Post by alex »

you can doubleclick the post, then it starts downloading and opens the article, then you wait a bit until attachment appears, then doubleclick the attachment and it will open the associated application, e.g. if WinRAR you may see the content of the file. when if you don't need it you can press del to delete the body or invoke download&save from the header view to download the whole post.

do you mean you want to download one part, one line is too little.
joesloppy

Re: Any tips or way to filter to just get the first line of

Post by joesloppy »

Yup, just one line. It seems one line is all you need to preview a rar file, the first line in a part has always worked for me. I could imagine a button for a "preview mode", where the first line only is downloaded on files in queue until it's UN pressed. that is the idea. I have my autoit script for now. Thank you