10k objects taking up 3.9 gigs

shaxs

10k objects taking up 3.9 gigs

Post by shaxs »

In my data directory, there are 9,499 objects faking up over 3.9 gigs of hard drive space. Can I get rid of most these and keep my current groups and headers in tact? Thanks!
alex

Post by alex »

basically you need to delete bodies.

first invoke (if it is not already automatic) partial menu->delete partials with missing parts in all newsgroups.

if there are still too many bodies (.npr files), you can invoke (one of possibilities, you can also open every newsgroup separatedly) edit menu->global filter 'messages' 'are' 'with bodies' and delete the bodes you see there. if you disable the partial autosupport (partial menu) and delete all such bodies no .npr files should left.

also ensure properties->general, delete bodies when deleting headers is checked (it is default and in the future it will be the only option), if it is not you need to invoke edit menu->show deleted headers to see all the bodies.

the rude method is to delete all .npr files, cnt.dat and sto.dat manually (if you don't need article bodies at all) and then to invoke file menu->reset database (but then all headers without bodies will be lost too).
shaxs

Post by shaxs »

is there anyway to just keep my list of news groups but delete all the headers and start from scrtatch?
alex

Post by alex »

in the newspro database Data directory you can delete all .npr files, cnt.dat, sto.dat, hdr.dat, del.dat, then start the program and invoke file menu->reset database.

what you need in the database directory, if you don't need any header records:

reg.dat - contains newsgroups, servers and most settings
fld.dat - folders
flt.dat - kill filters
wch.dat - watch filters
pst.dat - post settings

you can omit even these files (except for reg.dat) but you lose corresponding settings.
shaxs

Post by shaxs »

The only thing I dont want to loose are my server settings, my news group list, and my bandwitch counter (Im at 315 gigs in a year, just trying to see how high I can get :)
dengle

Post by dengle »

You can export your server listing as well, but not sure if it will keep the bandwidth usage.