new messages

robert66

new messages

Post by robert66 »

I am just using newspro for one day, and I when I look to the messages in the newsgroup, then I see a lot of messages with a + in it, because there have been a reply on the original message.
Is it possible , without a filter, to see the new messages?
When a post is marked with a + you can not read the messages so you can't also not see of the post has some new messages.
(ofcouse I can click on the + and then I can see all the messages, but thatsnot what I mean).

It would be nice if there was a more easy way to see the new messages, without using a filter.

I hope somebody can help me out.
Thanks anyway.

Robert
alex

Post by alex »

i don't underrstand exactly what you need, e.g. you can press the '-' icon on the toolbar to expand all threads (the same: threads menu->expand threads).

if you use a filter (messages are new, extract) you can see only threads with new messages, you can make you the initial filter if you like (in the workspace, context menu for the newsgroup in question).
robert66

Post by robert66 »

Thanks, expand all threads, is the solution for my problem
alex

Post by alex »

threads are normally collapsed to save processor time - since threads are lists inside the list - although i'm planning to refine the thread code, binary newsgroups don't have threads, text newsgroups with many threads are significantly smaller in size so in some degree it makes the situation with processing time even.
robert66

Post by robert66 »

Is there also a way to see the total of new messages in a newsgroup? So when I see there by example 5 new messages, that I don't have to go through the whole newsgroup to search for other new messages.
Btw, when I have read a message I do ALT+M to mark it as read.
Is there a other way to make the message marked as read?(by example in some other newsreaders when you are standing on the message for a few seconds, the message will be showed as read, thats easier then to use ALT+M)
alex

Post by alex »

there is an option edit menu->properties->articles, mark read on view article.

the number of new messages is not shown, if you apply the extract new messages filter and disable threads so the "old" messages won't be shown at all you can estimate the number by selecting all messages.
Bodach

Binary Threading

Post by Bodach »

[quote="alex"]binary newsgroups don't have threads[/quote]

Alex, there are often long threads to binary posts. While most of them revolve around requests for reposts, pars, etc, there is still quite a bit of discussion on how to get xyz to work or what codec was used etc. I hope you do not remove threading and turn NewsPro into newsbin pro. Trying to follow a thread on newsbin pro is cumbersome at best.