Newsgroups and attached servers

Rodent

Newsgroups and attached servers

Post by Rodent »

I was just downloading some files from a group where Easynews is the only server attached. I noticed however that NewsPro also downloaded parts of these files from Teranews, which is on the server list but not attached to this group.

The files I'm downloading are however also crossposted to another group to which both Easynews and Teranews are attached. So I looks like NewsPro is confusing these two groups' server setup in some way. That's not how it's supposed to be, is it?
bassie

Post by bassie »

could it be that you have message id direct selected?

so that if one server finds the article, the id is sent to the other server so the other server is starting the download as well

:?:
Rodent

Post by Rodent »

bassie wrote:could it be that you have message id direct selected?

so that if one server finds the article, the id is sent to the other server so the other server is starting the download as well

:?:
No, I've never had ID direct selected.
bassie

Post by bassie »

I heared sometimes that it is not wise to do a crosspost.

I think it is considered as pollution of usenet, because files are posted on several newsgroups at the same time. Maybe things go wrong because it is a crosspost.
poma5

Post by poma5 »

bassie,
What you stated is totally wrong about crossposting. You are thinking about spammers that are doing excessive crossposting. When posting binarie files newsproviders prefer that you crosspost the file to different groups rather than post seperate posts to each different group. The reason for this is the newsserver software will only hold 1 copy of the file and reference it to all of the groups that it was crossposted to. If someone makes seperate posts to each group the newsserver is forced to hold multiple copies of the same file may time over. Doing a proper cross post really saves a lot of newsserver space and helps cut down on the enormous size of todays newsfeeds. Currently about 1.3 terabyte for a full feed.
bassie

Post by bassie »

poma5 wrote:bassie,
What you stated is totally wrong about crossposting. You are thinking about spammers that are doing excessive crossposting. When posting binarie files newsproviders prefer that you crosspost the file to different groups rather than post seperate posts to each different group. The reason for this is the newsserver software will only hold 1 copy of the file and reference it to all of the groups that it was crossposted to. If someone makes seperate posts to each group the newsserver is forced to hold multiple copies of the same file may time over. Doing a proper cross post really saves a lot of newsserver space and helps cut down on the enormous size of todays newsfeeds. Currently about 1.3 terabyte for a full feed.
I did not know that. Good that you told.
But maybe his problem was a wrong crosspost anyway?