export complete database to innd

recordista

export complete database to innd

Post by recordista »

I am preparing to host a private NG which recently went off the air. A reader who uses newspro has given me a copy of his data files with all the old posts (including many long thought lost in a former server outage.)

I am able to open and read them with newspro. Is there some way to either upload them to a newsserver via nntp or to export in some standard unix article format so I can do a makehistory on them and have innd recognize them?

--thanks
recordista

Post by recordista »

Partial success with expanding all the threads, hilighting them and choosing 'save source' but:

Files are named with subject & sender etc. (easy enough to rename with a script I suppose.)

60k+ messages is too many files for one directory. I sorted by date and then started saving them by year, but there appears to be a problem since e.g. when I hilight all the 1998 messages and save them I get a handful which are dated 1999, 2000, 2003, etc. in the output directory.

Is there some kind of export utility?

--thanks
alex

Post by alex »

you can make file name shorter by unchecking edit menu->properties->general, derive names from subject, but it doesn't matter for ntfs as well as the number of files in the directory, the restrictions are only for FAT disk formats, you can also save message sources in different directories (if it doesn't ask for directory check corresponding 'ask' in properties->newsgroups).
recordista

Post by recordista »

Thanks for the tip on filenames. Directory overload was apparently some sort of Windows IO problem--once I moved the target to a different spindle it wrote out all the files OK.