Unpack tasks versus save queue priority

andreasfc

Unpack tasks versus save queue priority

Post by andreasfc »

I have a problem when downloaden a lot of files, about 60GB in the queue.
What happens with my 24Mbit line is that the downloads still continues but the unrar process isn't able to start. I think that is because there are still files in the queue which needs to be decoded, but this is because of the amount of data which is downloading.
Is there an option which can be used to give the unrar process priority when a download (collection) is finished?
Thanx
alex

Post by alex »

right now saving queue has higher priority relative to unpack tasks.

it was the intention from the beginning, but in earliest versions i failed to put an "else" and unpack tasks had the same priority, it led to a thread in the development section about growing saving queue.

it is not related to amount of data downloaded.

you can pause downloads for 5 minutes so it will clear the save queue or you can suspend the save queue momentarily if you need to unrar a certain download exclusively through UE (if not through UE you can doubleclick the entry, winrar will start, then you can clear files).

from other side there is no problem to let the save queue to grow, so the option can be easily added, i'm not sure whether to add it though, would need to squeeze options in the unpack properties even tighter.
andreasfc

Post by andreasfc »

Hello Alex,

I would prefer the else statement, it would be easier so you don't have to pause. I have a 40GB partion on which is UE installed and the bodies are also stored on this partition. The unpack will take place to another drive.
Can you please consider an option for the else statement or a priority setting for unpack to higher?
alex

Post by alex »

i'll think if i can find space in options to add this.

do you save to another drive as well, not to the drive where the UE database is located?
andreasfc

Post by andreasfc »

What I do is in these steps:
1. search for the items I want to download
2. Selecte my download and select for instance drive D:\ 45Gb free).
3. The options for unpacking are set to an other drive (150GB free).
4. Select some more items, mostly more the the amount free on drive D:\

On drive D:\ -->this is the same drive where the UE database is located.

Hopefully this is clear.
Thanx
alex

Post by alex »

did you try to save to another drive, maybe it will decongest the save queue.

if you save to the same drive to where UE db is located unless the system have those saved downloads cached you need reads from and writes to the same drive.

if unpacking mostly means unraring i'm not sure what is the bottleneck, maybe those are still the disk accesses. maybe with three different drives there would be some noticeable speed boost.

the main reason to keep saving higher priority is caching, if download is recent and the save queue size is kept minimal (downloading is slower than saving), the file content may well be still in RAM so we save on disk reads.
alex

Post by alex »

in the next version in properties->tasks in "relative chance to run" there will be a slider with two positions "save" and "unpack", if you move it right towards "unpack" - unpack tasks will have priority over save tasks.

just figured out where to add the option without creating more congestion, wouldn't be possible to add it otherwise.
andreasfc

Post by andreasfc »

Thanx Alex this is great.
Do you when it will be released?
alex

Post by alex »

not so long, i need to check statistics on crash reports and look through the forum what technically can be added and i've missed.