The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

sam

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

Post by sam »

Switch Databases with prior version of Newspro and get this message;

Mapping Failure:
CreateFileMapping failed with system error: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

Re-executed Newspro and get same message, installed new version and get the same message.

Each time i was prompted to Restore or Reset and i Restored. This is the first time i have seen this message, but i have quit out of NewsPro and come in and had the databases corrupt. Using Restore corrects the problem with the usual loss of data.

What do I need to do to correct this problem? What causes it? What happens if i Reset the databases ?

Regards.
alex

Post by alex »

the error message is returned by the system, you need to check the drive for errors from the drive properties.

after it has been corrected (createfilemapping rather needs a directory and not a file, so data may not be affected) you may try to restore the database, if it doesn't work just reset the database.

when you reset the database all headers without bodies will be lost but all the rest (messages with bodies, info about deleted/read including headers without bodies etc.) will be preserved.
sam

Post by sam »

Thanks for the quick response. I tried making a backup copy of the directory 0.98GB struture to play with, but stopped after 400mb with a beep and an error message that flashed by too fast to read. I restarted windows and was able to Restore and get into NewsPro.

Things are really messed up, Articles sorted by subject are not. For instance there are a (MP3) group of Tina Turner, then The Something, then more Tina Turner. Lots of articles with a subject of Deleted Header that will not sort by Subject so they can be deleted. High lighting articles (L-Click and drag) does not work right now. Wheel Mouse down to change pages goes a few pages and then goes back to the top of the article list, dragging the scroll bar to the bottom works, but it will then go to the top of the article list. Deleting headers works as if Show Deleted is on, but only in a folder, not in a group in that folder. And the last problem i can recall is that Find does not work in a news group list does not work, search for anything and it always, only finds the first news group listed which is named with a single double quote mark, if i delete that group, then it only finds the new first news group which is "Feminism" in double quotes.

I will try a Reset and see how that does.

Thanks.
blackdog56

Post by blackdog56 »

When I have had similar problems, I have found that I needed to defragment the partition that the NewsPro database was on to finally solve it....